Rascals Sizzle Early, Fizzle Late in Loss
MARION, Ill. -- The River City Rascals squandered a three-run lead for the second consecutive night, dropping the middle game of their series with the Southern Illinois Miners by a score of 4-3 on Saturday night at Rent One Park. The two teams combined to leave 22 runners on base in the game. The Rascals have now lost five of their last six overall.
The Rascals jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the first inning, as Braxton Martinez's RBI double was immediately followed by a two-run double from Nolan Meadows. The Miners slowly chipped away, scoring their first run on an RBI single from Bryant Flete in the second, one of three hits for the shortstop on the night. Stephen Lohr made it 3-2 on a sacrifice fly in the fourth, and Kyle Davis tied the game later in the frame on an RBI ground-rule double. The Miners took the 4-3 lead on an RBI infield single from Anthony Jimenez in the fifth, with Joe Duncan scoring from second base on the play.
Rascals starter Travis McQueen allowed three runs in 3 2/3 innings, issuing a season-high four walks in a no-decision. Reliever Kyle Fimbrez (0-1) took the loss, allowing the go-ahead run. Andrew Vernon gave the team two perfect innings out of the bullpen to keep the game close, but the effort was in vain.
Miners starter Greg Marino (1-0) earned the win in his professional debut, allowing three runs on five innings with four walks and five strikeouts. Heath Renz, Benjamin Dum, Jordan Brink and Gabe Gentner combined for four scoreless innings out of the Miners bullpen, with Gentner earning his fourth save of the season.
The Rascals (17-15) look to avoid the sweep at the hands of the Miners (19-12) tomorrow night, with first pitch set for 5:05 p.m. CDT in the series finale.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from June 15, 2019
- Otters Win a Wild Game, Defeating the Boomers 6-5 - Evansville Otters
- Grizzlies' Bats Quiet in Loss - Gateway Grizzlies
- Boomers Edged in Slugfest - Schaumburg Boomers
- Bolts Win Second Straight from Grizzlies - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Miners Take Down Rascals for Fifth Straight Win - Southern Illinois Miners
- Offense Comes up Short in Florence - Lake Erie Crushers
- Rascals Sizzle Early, Fizzle Late in Loss - River City Rascals
- Wild Things Plate Three on Two Home Runs in Eighth to Take Middle Game - Washington Wild Things
- Freedom Stifle Crushers to Setup Rubber Match - Florence Freedom
- Wild Things Score 3 in the 8th to Beat Slammers 5-3 - Joliet Slammers
- Lock Down Bullpen in Florence - Lake Erie Crushers
- Miners Stun Rascals in Ninth to Win Fourth Straight - Southern Illinois Miners
- Havird's CG SO Powers Washington to Going-Away Win - Washington Wild Things
- Boomers Four-Run Inning Hurts Otters - Evansville Otters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.