Hardy Homers to Give Honkers Walk-Off Win
(Rochester, Minn.) - For the second game in a row, the Rochester Honkers hit a two-run walk-off home run to defeat the Duluth Huskies 7-5 Wednesday at Mayo Field. Matt Hardy (UC Riverside) crushed the home run with two outs in the ninth to seal the deal for the Honkers. The Honkers played their last home game on Wednesday and improved to 16-16 in the second half and 33-35 overall. The Huskies fall to 21-11 and 45-23.
The Huskies were able to take a 1-0 lead in the third as Christian Jones (Washington) was able to steal home.
The Honkers responded in the third as Nate Webb (UC Riverside) crushed a two-run home to give Rochester a 2-1 lead. For Webb, it was his third home run of the year.
In the fourth, Michael Michalak (Illinois) drove a two-run home run to put the Honkers up 4-1. It was the seventh home run of the year for the Rochester native and the second game in a row in which he has homered in.
Alex McGarry (Oregon State) gave the Honkers another run in the eighth. McGarry launched his seventh home run of the summer to put the Honkers up 5-1.
The Huskies were able to fight back in the eighth, Tony Monroy (Georgetown) singled to right to drive in a run and cut the Honkers lead to 5-2.
Duluth continued to fight back in the ninth as Sean Watkins (Cal State LA) hit a solo home run to make the score 5-3. The Huskies tied the game at five as Julian Escobedo (San Diego State) hit a two-run home run.
The Huskies three-run ninth set up Hardy to win the game with a two-run walk off home run for the Honkers in the ninth.
Honkers starting pitcher Drew Slade (Ripon) received a no decision despite a solid outing. The left-hander worked six innings giving up one run on two hits. The run was not an earned run. Michael Brandt (Augustana) came in relief to pitch 1 1/3 and gave up one run on one hit. Joshua Ibarra (Concordia Irvine) posted his third win of the summer after working 1 2/3 innings giving up three runs on five hits.
Michalak, McGarry, Webb and Hardy all had two hits for the Honkers offense.
Huskies starting pitcher Jason Braziel (Friends) was tagged with the loss. Braziel tossed five innings surrendering four runs on five hits.
The Honkers travel to Willmar Thursday to take on the Stingers at Bill Taunton Stadium. Logan Nissen (Bethany Lutheran) is scheduled to make his second start for the Honkers. Nissen has recorded a 1.80 ERA and has struck out 14. Willmar's starting pitcher is to be determined. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 8, 2018
- Hardy Homers to Give Honkers Walk-Off Win - Rochester Honkers
- Mallards with Another Walk-Off - Madison Mallards
- Bullfrogs Fall to Woodchucks in Series Finale - Green Bay Booyah
- Dock Spiders Punch Ticket into Playoffs - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Rockford Struggles in 8-1 Loss to Kenosha - Rockford Rivets
- Woodchucks Hold Bullfrogs Hitless Until Eighth in 5-1 Win - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Rafters Take on Bombers for Last Time in 2018 - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Emmerson Powers Bucks past Thunder Bay - Waterloo Bucks
- With Season Winding Down, Mallards Face Growlers - Madison Mallards
- Mallards Host 2018 Major League Dreams Showcase - Northwoods
- Mallards Host 2018 Major League Dreams Showcase - Madison Mallards
- Rafters Roll at Major League Dreams Showcase - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.