Hamilton acquires goaltender Philippe Sauve from Providence
HAMILTON, ON - The Hamilton Bulldogs announced today that the club has acquired goaltender Philippe Sauve on loan from the Boston Bruins / Providence Bruins. In addition, the Montreal Canadiens / Hamilton Bulldogs have loaned right-winger Aaron Downey to the Providence Bruins.
Sauve, 27, has appeared in 23 games with the American Hockey League's Providence Bruins this season, posting a record of 10-11-1, with a 2.83 goals against average and a .890 save percentage. The 6-foot, 188-pound goaltender has also played two games this season in the National Hockey League with Boston, recording a 5.80 goals against average and .826 save percentage.
The native of Buffalo, New York, has appeared in 161 career AHL games with the Hershey Bears and Providence Bruins, registering a 71-65-19 record, with a 2.39 goals against average and a .919 save percentage. Sauve was selected by the Colorado Avalanche in the second round, 38th overall, in the 1998 NHL Entry Draft.
Downey, 32, played in 21 games with the Canadiens this season, and registered one goal (1-0-1) and 48 penalty minutes. Obtained from the St. Louis Blues through waivers on January 23rd, 2006, Downey has played in a total of 46 games with the Canadiens and collected six points (2-4-6), with 98 penalty minutes.
In the NHL, Downey has played in 183 games with the Canadiens, the Boston Bruins (1999-00), the Chicago Blackhawks (2000-02), the Dallas Stars (2002-04) and the St. Louis Blues (2005-06). He has registered 13 points, including seven goals, and 371 penalty minutes.
In operation since 1936, the American Hockey League is the top development league for all 30 National Hockey League teams. Over 80 percent of NHL players are AHL graduates, and more than 350 AHL players were recalled to the NHL during the 2005-2006 season alone.
The Bulldogs return to action on Friday, March 1st at Bradley Center in Milwaukee when they battle the Admirals at 8:00 p.m. Fans can listen to the game on the flagship station of the Hamilton Bulldogs Hockey Network, 820 CHAM "The Legend," beginning with the Park's Furniture Pre-Game Show at 7:40 p.m. Fans can also listen or watch at www.hamiltonbulldogs.com by clicking on the 'B2 Networks' or '820 CHAM' icon on the 'Dogs website.
The next scheduled home game for Hamilton is on Sunday, March 18th in Montreal at the Bell Centre against the Syracuse Crunch at 3:00 p.m. The Dogs' return home to Copps Coliseum on Wednesday, March 21st to host the Rochester Americans at 7:30 p.m. Tickets for all 'Dogs home games (except home game #32) are available at the Copps Coliseum Box Office, any Ticketmaster outlet, online at www.ticketmaster.ca, or through charge-by-phone at 905-527-7666.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 1, 2007
- Rivermen Take Down Iowa 3-1 on the Road - Peoria Rivermen
- Kings Activate Petiot, Assign To Manchester - Manchester Monarchs
- Stars points streak snapped - Iowa Chops
- Ferraro Acquired on Loan from Bridgeport; Wood Loaned in Return - Peoria Rivermen
- Rampage surpass jersey auction goal - San Antonio Rampage
- Sound Tigers Loan Ferraro, Pick up Stephen Wood - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Admirals Sign Laliberte to AHL Deal - Milwaukee Admirals
- Devils Acquire 7th Round Pick, Send RW Aaron Voros to Minnesota Wild - Albany Devils
- Crunch Announce Details of Dignity Funeral Homes Escape School' Program - Syracuse Crunch
- Hussey Heads Back to Hockeytown - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Wild acquires Voros, assigns him to Aeros - Houston Aeros
- Wolves Byrne Up the Blueline - Chicago Wolves
- Bears and Wolves swap defensemen - Hershey Bears
- Penner assigned to Wheeling - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Bonvie receives CCM AHL Milestone of the Month Award - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Amerks to induct John Bednarski into Hall of Fame - Rochester Americans
- Norfolk's Bolland named Rbk Hockey/AHL Rookie of the Month - AHL
- Penguins' Bonvie earns CCM/AHL Milestone of the Month - AHL
- Hartford's Montoya named Rbk X-Pulse/AHL Goaltender of the Month - Connecticut Whale
- Bahensky, Constant loaned to Charlotte - Connecticut Whale
- Downey Returns to Providence - Providence Bruins
- Hamilton acquires goaltender Philippe Sauve from Providence - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Andress and Elliott Headed Back to Johnstown - Springfield Falcons
- Penguins acquire Rome from Moose - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Penguins acquire Ratchuk from Aeros - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Binghamton signs defenseman Terry Virtue - Binghamton Senators
- River Rats call up center Brent Kelly - Albany River Rats
- Kopriva recalled; Ratchuk re-assigned to WBS - Houston Aeros
- Phantoms Acquire Jared Ross From Chicago Wolves - Adirondack Phantoms
- Amerks and Sabres to play charity hockey game - Rochester Americans
- Hobey Baker Award Postponed - Iowa Chops
- B-Sens release Green and LaLonde from tryout contracts - Binghamton Senators
- Kings Recall Stephenson - Manchester Monarchs
- Wolves Add Dimitrakos - Chicago Wolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.