Guzman Homer Highlights Fresno Victory
FRESNO, Calif. - Jesus Guzman homered and Buster Posey hit an RBI double as the Fresno Grizzlies beat the Portland Beavers 3-2 at Chukchansi Park Monday night.
Guzman's first homer of the season - a solo shot - tied the game in the fourth for Fresno (6-6) before Ryan Rohlinger drew a bases-loaded walk in the seventh for the go-ahead run.
Craig Stansberry hit a solo home run and Craig Cooper had two hits for the Beavers (5-7), who dropped three of the four games in their first road series of 2010.
Steve Edlefsen (1-0) earned the win with two scoreless frames in relief of Giants top pitching prospect Madison Bumgarner, who pitched six strong innings, allowing two runs (1 earned) on three hits.
Joe Thatcher (0-1), who was making his fifth appearance for Portland while rehabbing an injured throwing shoulder, loaded the bases in the seventh before giving way to Adam Russell, who issued the go-ahead walk.
Posey got Fresno on the board with his RBI double in the first inning.
Sean Kazmar plated Cooper with a second-inning double for the Beavers.
Stansberry's solo shot in the third gave Portland a 2-1 lead but Guzman's blast to right in the fourth tied it back up.
Thatcher gave up a double, a hit batsman and a walk in the seventh to load the bases before Rohlinger worked the four-pitch walk from Russell.
Denny Bautista allowed a two-out double in the ninth to Cooper but struck out the following hitter for his second save.
Starter Josh Geer struck out six and allowed two runs on four hits and no walks over six innings for Portland.
The Beavers head to Sacramento Tuesday to begin a four-game set with the River Cats at 7:05 p.m. (Pacific).
NOTES: All three of Portland's losses in the series were one-run defeats ... Bumgarner had yielded 21 hits in his first two starts of the season ... Beavers outfielder Chris Denorfia was held hitless for just the second time this season.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 19, 2010
- Valdez Lifts Aces to 5-3 Win over Sacramento - Reno Aces
- Zephyrs Edge Express 4-3 in 11th - Round Rock Express
- Z's Win in 11 Innings - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Guzman Homer Highlights Fresno Victory - Portland Beavers
- Sky Sox Lose High-Octane Thriller, 9-8 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Bees Edged by Tacoma, 5-4 - Salt Lake Bees
- Redbirds Rally Late, End Slide - Memphis Redbirds
- I-Cubs Blank Sounds In Series Finale, 4-0 - Nashville Sounds
- NPF Softball Series Coming To The Dell Diamond - Round Rock Express
- Royals Rout 'Topes 14-6 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- PCL Names Players Of The Week - PCL
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Lindsey Earns PCL Batter Of The Week Honors - Albuquerque Isotopes
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss