Growlers Score 8 to Win in Georgia
The Growlers scored four goals in the first period en route to an 8-2 victory over the Atlanta Gladiators at the Infinite Energy Centre in Duluth, Georgia Thursday night after enduring three days of flight delays and cancellations.
The Growlers potted two goals just 8 seconds apart to set the tone for the game with Giorgio Estephan beating Sean Boner, the reigning ECHL goaltender of the month with a quick snapshot off the faceoff at 6:17 and Brady Ferguson added the second goal at 6:25 with a blast from the hash marks. J.J Piccinich and Josh Kestner would also score for the Growlers to close out the period.
The Growlers did not take their foot off the gas as James Melindy chased Sean Boner from the Atlanta cage just 2:49 into the second period. Brady Ferguson and Giorgio Estephan each added their second goals of the game before the end of the second frame. Daniel Leavens got the Gladiators on the board in the second with his seventh of the season, beating Eamon McAdam who made his second straight start for the Growlers.
The Growlers entered the third period up 7-1. Derian Plouffe added the eighth goal for the Growlers while Matt Lane snuck the puck by McAdams glove to bring the Gladiators goal totals to 2.
Zach O'Brien point streak ends at 5 games
Todd Skirving returned to the lineup and added an assist
The three stars were 3 - J. Kestner (NFL), 2 - G. Estephan (NFL) and 1 - B. Ferguson (NFL)
The Newfoundland Growlers road trip continues tomorrow in South Carolina as the Growlers take on the Stingrays, fans can tune in live via with Chris Ballard by visiting mixlr.com/nlgrowers.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 14, 2019
- Blaney Nets OT Winner as K-Wings Top Komets on Pink Ice - Kalamazoo Wings
- Growlers Score 8 to Win in Georgia - Newfoundland Growlers
- Historic Point Streak Comes to an End with Home Loss to Newfoundland - Atlanta Gladiators
- Joseph Mizzi Signs with Grizzlies - Utah Grizzlies
- ECHL Transactions - February 14 - ECHL
- IceMen Back on Track with Win over Monarchs - Jacksonville IceMen
- Will Smith Traded to Utah Grizzlies - Adirondack Thunder
- Melanson, Pratt Headed to Hartford - Maine Mariners
- Collins Returns to Kalamazoo Prior to Pink Ice - Kalamazoo Wings
- Leading Scorer MacDonald Returns to Royals; Komm Recalled to LV - Reading Royals
- Game Day: Central Division Face off Highlights Pink Ice Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Steelheads Close Game in 3-2 Overtime Win over Rush - Idaho Steelheads
- 'Blades Offense Shines in 5-2 Triumph over Solar Bears - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.