Grizzlies Swept in Season Finale
Marion, IL - The Gateway Grizzlies (38-57) close out their season with a loss to Southern Illinois (54-42) at Rent One Park, 7-3 on Sunday night.
Southern Illinois picked up a two-run homer from Nolan Earley in the first inning to jump ahead right away. The Miners picked up at least two runs in every first inning of the series for a total of 10 runs in those opening frames.
Gateway got one back in the third inning with an RBI double from Jose Rosario that scored Andres Regnault to make it 2-1 Miners.
Bryant Flete led off the bottom of the third with a home run, his second in as many games, to push the lead back to two at 3-1.
Connor Owings annihilated his tenth home run of the year, a solo shot to the opposite field in the fifth inning, to pull the Grizzlies within one again at 3-2. Owings drove it over the 392 fence in left-center.
An RBI single from Jared Mang in the fifth made it a two-run game once more at 4-2 Miners.
Flete drove in Jarrod Watkins in the sixth with a single to extend the lead to 5-2.
Southern Illinois picked up a couple insurance runs in the eighth. First, with a solo homer from Jarrod Watkins, then with an RBI single from Earley that scored Arturo Nieto that made the score 7-2.
Gateway put up a good effort in the ninth with Rosario driving in Jack Harris, who went four for five in the game, with a single, but that was all in the inning for the Grizzlies.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from September 12, 2021
- Miners Sweep Grizzlies to Conclude 2021 - Southern Illinois Miners
- Grizzlies Swept in Season Finale - Gateway Grizzlies
- Otters Finish Season with 57th Victory - Evansville Otters
- ValleyCats Fall Short of Playoffs on Final Day of Regular Season - Tri-City ValleyCats
- Regular Season Ends with a Victory for Washington - Washington Wild Things
- Crushers finish season at 41-55; Manager Dan Rohn records opening out - Lake Erie Crushers
- Schaumburg Wins Series Finale Versus Y'alls - Florence Y'alls
- Boomers Win Wild Season Finale - Schaumburg Boomers
- Jackals Down Boulders In Season Finale - New York Boulders
- Grizzlies Come up Just Short - Gateway Grizzlies
- Otters Held Scoreless by Crushers Saturday - Evansville Otters
- Miners Out-Slug Grizzlies to Clinch Series - Southern Illinois Miners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gateway Grizzlies Stories
- Grizzlies Announce 2022 Schedule
- Grizzlies Name Steve Brook Manager for 2022 Season.
- Roth Will Not Return in 2022
- 2021 Season Review
- Grizzlies Swept in Season Finale