Greenville Shuts Down Indy in Game One
INDIANAPOLIS - Playing their first playoff game since 2018, the Indy Fuel hosted the Greenville Swamp Rabbits in game one of the Eastern Conference Semifinals. Greenville would score two unanswered goals and Ryan Bednard would stop 37 shots to take game one in the best-of-five series.
Indy would have an early chance on the power play but Greenville goaltender Ryan Bednard would stop the pair of shots that Indy put on net. Throughout the middle of the period, each team would trade chances on net. Taking a late goaltender interference penalty, Indy would have to kill off a penalty for the final 1:50 of the first period.
Earning a 5-on-3 power play midway through the 2nd period, Indy would put several shots on Bednard but he would hold them off. Immediately responding to Indy's strong power play, Greenville's Anthony Rinaldi would chip a puck over the shoulder of Billy Christopoulos to take a 1-0 lead. Although the Fuel outshot the Swamp Rabbits 11-8 in the middle stanza, Greenville would take the one goal lead into the locker room.
Jumping on a Fuel turnover at the beginning of the third period, the Swamp Rabbits would spring Shawn Cameron on a breakaway and he would put a wrist shot over the shoulder of Christopoulos. Each team would have a chance on the man advantage but nobody would be able to score. Greenville would hold on to eventually take game one of the series by a score of 2-0.
The Fuel have clinched a spot in the 2021 Kelly Cup Playoffs! Single game tickets are now available for the first home game on June 8. Fuel season memberships are also available for the 2021-22 season, purchase your package by June 14th to receive complimentary parking for the entire 2021-22 regular season. Find details and pricing at IndyFuelHockey.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from June 8, 2021
- Allen Defeats Utah 3-1 in Series Opener - Utah Grizzlies
- Jake Paterson Leads Allen over Utah in Game 1 - Allen Americans
- Bednard Magnificent, Rabbits Take 1-0 Series Lead at Indy - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Greenville Shuts Down Indy in Game One - Indy Fuel
- ECHL Transactions - June 8 - ECHL
- Game Day Preview: Utah at Allen, Game 1 - Allen Americans
- Head Coach Bruce Ramsay Named ECHL Coach of the Year - Wichita Thunder
- Wichita's Ramsay Receives John Brophy Award as ECHL Coach of the Year - ECHL
- Grizzlies Playoff Preview: Game 1 at Allen Tonight - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits at Fuel, 7:05 PM Eastern Conference Semifinals (Game 1) - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.