Jake Paterson Leads Allen over Utah in Game 1
Allen, Texas - The Allen Americans, ECHL affiliate of Minnesota Wild (NHL) and Iowa Wild (AHL) won the first game of the series with the Utah Grizzlies by a 3-1 score on Tuesday night at Allen Event Center, in front of a crowd just under 2,000 fans.
The first two goals came far apart for Allen. Spencer Asuchak scored two minutes into the opening frame, his first of the playoffs, with the next goal coming early in the third period. Brett Neumann outworked the Grizzlies in front of the Utah net poking home his first of the playoffs to give the Americans the lead for good 2-1. Colby McAuley put the game away for Allen with a breakaway goal late in the third period into the empty net to make it a 3-1 Allen lead.
"We have to play better in the first period tomorrow night," said Americans Head Coach Steve Martinson. "That is one of the big adjustments we need to make for tomorrow. Getting only five shots on net in the first period is not good enough."
Jake Paterson was the star for Allen stopping 29 shots to get the win. Paterson has allowed just one goal in his last two games.
Utah's only goal came from the ECHL Rookie of the year Matthew Boucher. He scored his first of the playoffs from Travis Barron at the 14:21 mark of the opening frame.
Neither team scored a power play goal in Game 1. Allen was 0 for 5 on the power play, while Utah was 0 for 3.
Game 2 of the Best of Five Series is Wednesday night at 7:05 pm at Allen Event Center. Buy your seats NOW!
Gates at Allen Station 3 Stars:
1. ALN - J. Paterson
2. ALN - B. Neumann
3. ALN - S. Asuchak
Images from this story
Allen Americans celebrate a goal against the Utah Grizzlies
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from June 8, 2021
- Allen Defeats Utah 3-1 in Series Opener - Utah Grizzlies
- Jake Paterson Leads Allen over Utah in Game 1 - Allen Americans
- Bednard Magnificent, Rabbits Take 1-0 Series Lead at Indy - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Greenville Shuts Down Indy in Game One - Indy Fuel
- ECHL Transactions - June 8 - ECHL
- Game Day Preview: Utah at Allen, Game 1 - Allen Americans
- Head Coach Bruce Ramsay Named ECHL Coach of the Year - Wichita Thunder
- Wichita's Ramsay Receives John Brophy Award as ECHL Coach of the Year - ECHL
- Grizzlies Playoff Preview: Game 1 at Allen Tonight - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits at Fuel, 7:05 PM Eastern Conference Semifinals (Game 1) - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.