Goaltender Durham Commits to Brown University
DES MOINES, IA - Goaltender James Durham announced his commitment to Brown University this morning.
"It is very humbling and exciting to be a Brown Bear, it is the perfect fit for me," Durham said. "It allows me to pursue my dream of playing in the National Hockey League while receiving an Ivy League education. I want to thank my parents, coaches, friends and teammates for all they've done for me along the way."
The Grand Rapids, MI native is a product of the Michigan Amateur Hockey Association. Durham played his Midget Minor season at Meijer AAA, followed by Midget Major for Detroit Honeybaked under former Youngstown Phantoms Head Coach Bob Mainhardt.
"James is a tremendous young man that has earned this commitment," GM Tom Mannino said. "He's put in the hard work and dedication excelling at every level of hockey along his development path."
Last season James made the jump to junior hockey making Shreveport of the NAHL as a free agent invite to training camp. In 17 games played for the Mudbugs, Durham posted league leading numbers with a 1.57 GAA, a .942 SV% while carrying a record of 14-2-1 with 5 shutouts before being acquired and finishing the 2017-2018 season with Dubuque where he achieved a shutout in his first USHL game.
"James' path to the Bucs and now Brown gives affirmation to the process," Mannino said. "We couldn't be happier for James and his family with the opportunity to achieve success on the ice and in the classroom for coach Whittet at Brown."
Durham's year with Des Moines has featured strong numbers with a 2.48 GAA and a .917 SV%. In March, James was awarded USHL Goaltender of the Week, stopping 33 of the 34 shots he faced leading to a victory over Eastern Conference-leading Muskegon.
Des Moines will play its final home game of the regular season this weekend before heading on the road to finish the regular season next weekend. Last weekend they clinched a USHL Clark Cup Playoffs berth for just the second time in the past 12 seasons.
Friday the Bucs will play Omaha, as the battle for home ice in the First Round of the 2019 Clark Cup Playoffs continues. It's also Fan Appreciation Night at Buccaneer Arena with a Pregame Tailgate at 5:00 p.m, featuring music by the Robbie Michael Band, Fareway bratwursts and $4.00 16 oz. domestic beer specials. $5.00 general admission tickets, two-for-one tall boy beers and $1.00 hot dogs will also be featured during the game.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from April 3, 2019
- Saints & John Deere Dubuque Works Raise over $13,000 - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Goaltender Durham Commits to Brown University - Des Moines Buccaneers
- John Pagel Scholarship Award Winners Announced - Green Bay Gamblers
- Gamblers Raise Funds for the American Heart Association - Green Bay Gamblers
- Weekly Preview: Critical Road Weekend Awaits Steel - Chicago Steel
- Blake Lizotte Signs with LA Kings - Fargo Force
- Defenseman Jeppe Urup Commits to Sacred Heart University - Youngstown Phantoms
- Stampede Roll over Lincoln 8-1 - Sioux Falls Stampede
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Des Moines Buccaneers Stories
- Goaltender Durham Commits to Brown University
- Gopher Commit & MN State Champion Forward Nevers Joins Bucs
- Bucs Acquire Gamblers Leading Scorer Perbix & Pick for Forward Meyer
- Two Bucs and One Affiliate Named to NHL Central Scouting's Midterm Rankings
- Des Moines Adds Forward Fafrak and Defenseman Starikov