Gillies' Gem Guides Wichita to Series Victory
GRAND PRAIRIE, Tex. - Seven innings of one-run ball from right-hander Charlie Gillies propelled the Wichita Wingnuts to a 7-2 victory over the Texas AirHogs on Saturday night at AirHogs Stadium.
Gillies (2-0) struck out seven while issuing only one walk. He allowed eight hits, seven of which were singles, picking up his second win in as many starts and clinching the series victory for the Wingnuts.
Wichita (16-12) scored in the first inning for the fourth consecutive game, jumping out to a 1-0 lead on an RBI single from Abel Nieves that scored Zach Nehrir. It was Nieves who doubled the Wingnuts advantage in the third, again singling home a run against Texas starter Tyler Matzek (0-3).
Hunter Clanin got in on the act in the fourth, looping a single to score Tony Thomas that stretched the Wichita lead to 3-0. The Wingnuts then knocked Matzek from the game with a pair of runs in the sixth, as Clanin lined a two-run single that blew the game open at 5-0. Wichita would finish their scoring with two more tallies in the seventh, coming courtesy of a John Nester RBI single and a Ryne Willard sacrifice fly that made it 7-0.
Texas (5-22) got a run back against Gillies in the seventh on a groundout, then added an unearned run in the eighth for the game's final margin. Mark Haynes made his 2018 debut with a pair of strikeouts in the eighth, and Jackson Sigman finished off the win with a 1-2-3 ninth inning.
The Wingnuts wrap up their series with Texas on Sunday afternoon, as right-hander Seth Harvey (2-0, 2.50) will face AirHogs righty Gan Quan (0-3, 5.08). First pitch is scheduled 2:05 PM, and will be broadcast on 1410 AM/93.9 FM KGSO, TuneIn and americanassociationbaseball.tv.
For information on season tickets, group outings, and party packages, call the Wingnuts main office at (316) 264-NUTS, or visit the Wingnuts official website at www.wichitawingnuts.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 16, 2018
- AirHogs Stymied by Wingnuts Starter in Game 2 Defeat - Texas AirHogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Saints Can't Hold on Late, Lose Third Straight, 7-6 to Dogs - St. Paul Saints
- Dogs Pull off Megasaurus Comeback in Jurassic Classic - Chicago Dogs
- Kinman Dazzles in First Pro Start, Saltdogs Win 3-2 - Lincoln Saltdogs
- T-Bones Can't Overcome Early Deficit - Kansas City T-Bones
- Gillies' Gem Guides Wichita to Series Victory - Wichita Wingnuts
- Vernia's Strong Start Leads X's to Win - Sioux City Explorers
- Railroaders Stymied as 'Dogs Even Series - Cleburne Railroaders
- RedHawks Squeak out a Win; Tie Series with Kansas City - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Back-To-Back Homers Lift Goldeyes in Extras - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Henry's Game-Tying Homer Not Enough, Birds Lose in 10 - Sioux Falls Canaries
- RailCats Offense Stymied for Second Straight Night in 5-1 Loss to Explorers - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Saints Sign Concordia-St. Paul Catcher Connor Olson - St. Paul Saints
- RailCats Sign RHP Brendan Jenkins to First Pro Contract - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- T-Bones Strong Start Too Much for RedHawks - Kansas City T-Bones
- T-Bones Early Dominance Enough against RedHawks - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- X's Leave Gary Stranded in Win - Sioux City Explorers
- Big Game by Li Ning But AirHogs Fall Short vs. Wichita - Texas AirHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.