Giants Earn Double OT Win - Force Game Seven
Evander Kane's goal 5:31 into the second overtime period gave the Vancouver Giants a 3-2 win over the Spokane Chiefs in game six on Sunday night in the Spokane Arena.
The goal evened the series at three games a piece and snapped Spokane's three game win streak in the series. Game seven will be played on Tuesday night at 7:00 in Vancouver, BC and can be seen on Comcast channel 79 and heard on 1510 KGA.
The game was the second straight that the two teams had gone into multiple overtimes, but considerably shorter than the four overtime Spokane win on Friday night in Vancouver.
After the home team won the first four games of the series, the past two has seen the opposite hold true as the Chief's Tyler Johnson opened the game with his third in as many games 5:38 into the first. His tally held up until the 3:07 mark of the third when James Wright struck for his first of two on the night. He evened the score at 11:03 of the third.
The Chiefs Stefan Ulmer tied the game with 1:24 left in regulation when his snap shot from the right point deflected off a Giant's stick and pushed the game into extra time. Spokane outshot Vancouver 10-7 in the first session.
Kane's game winner was assisted by Wright, who had three points on the night.
Spokane's Dustin Tokarski stopped 31 shots while Tyson Sexsmith earned the win with 37 saves.
The winner of game seven will face the Kelowna Rockets in the Western Conference Championship series. Kelowna won four straight games in their best- of-seven series against Tri-City.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from April 13, 2009
- Eastern Finals Schedule Announced - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Hitmen To Face Brandon Wheat Kings In Eastern Conference Final - Calgary Hitmen
- WHL Announces Husky WHL Eastern Conference Championship Series Schedule - WHL
- Bernhardt Signs NHL Contract with Phoenix - Prince Albert Raiders
- Game Seven a Familiar Setting - Spokane Chiefs
- Rockets Move Onto the Western Conference Championship - Kelowna Rockets
- Game Notes For Game Seven - Vancouver Giants
- Wheat Kings' Colby Robak named Boston Pizza WHL Player of the Week - WHL
- Giants Earn Double OT Win - Force Game Seven - Spokane Chiefs
- Giants Win 3-2 in Double OT - Vancouver Giants
- Backlund Scores Twice As Rockets Eliminate Americans - Tri-City Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Spokane Chiefs Stories
- Third Period Frenzy Buries Chiefs in Game 2 at Vancouver
- Chiefs Drop Western Conference Championship Opener, 4-1
- Beckman & Toporowski Listed in 2019 NHL Central Scouting Final Rankings
- Chiefs Advance to Western Conference Finals with 2-1 Win over Everett
- Western Conference Championship Schedule Versus Vancouver Announced