Bernhardt Signs NHL Contract with Phoenix
Prince Albert, Saskatchewan - The Prince Albert Raiders are pleased to announce that 20 year-old centre Justin Bernhardt has signed a 3 year entry level contract with the Phoenix Coyotes of the National Hockey League. Details of the contract were not released.
Bernhardt led the Raiders in scoring in the 2008-09 regular season with 35 goals and 57 assists for 92 points, fifth overall in WHL scoring. That point total was the most registered by a Raider since Steve Kelly had 101 in the 1995-96 season. Bernhardt's fifth place finish in league scoring is the second best all time by a Raider, topped only by Dan Hodgson, who was second in the league in both the 1983-84 and 1984-85 seasons. Bernhardt was named to the WHL Second All-Star team, the first selection for a Raider since the 2003-04 season.
Bernhardt was acquired from the Kelowna Rockets on November 1, 2007 in exchange for a 3rd round draft pick. In 125 career games as a Raider, Bernhardt had 57 goals and 84 assists for 141 points. In 182 previous WHL games Bernhardt had 46 goals and 55 assists for 101 points.
"Justin's commitment on and off the ice has paid off" said Raiders Bruno Campese, General Manager and Head Coach. "We are extremely pleased for him to move on to a professional career."
"I am very pleased to be pursuing my career as a profession" says Bernhard. "I would like to thank everyone in PA - Raider coaching and training staff, fans and office staff for their help in the past two years. "
On March 20th, Phoenix signed former Raider defenceman Jeff May to a multi year contract. May played the majority of the past season with the San Antonio Rampage, the Coyote's American League affiliate.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from April 13, 2009
- Eastern Finals Schedule Announced - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Hitmen To Face Brandon Wheat Kings In Eastern Conference Final - Calgary Hitmen
- WHL Announces Husky WHL Eastern Conference Championship Series Schedule - WHL
- Bernhardt Signs NHL Contract with Phoenix - Prince Albert Raiders
- Game Seven a Familiar Setting - Spokane Chiefs
- Rockets Move Onto the Western Conference Championship - Kelowna Rockets
- Game Notes For Game Seven - Vancouver Giants
- Wheat Kings' Colby Robak named Boston Pizza WHL Player of the Week - WHL
- Giants Earn Double OT Win - Force Game Seven - Spokane Chiefs
- Giants Win 3-2 in Double OT - Vancouver Giants
- Backlund Scores Twice As Rockets Eliminate Americans - Tri-City Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.