Wheat Kings' Colby Robak named Boston Pizza WHL Player of the Week
April 13, 2009 - Western Hockey League (WHL) News Release
CALGARY, AB. - The BOSTON PIZZA WHL Player of the Week is defenceman Colby Robak of the Brandon Wheat Kings.
Robak picked up seven points, scoring four goals and three assists to go with a +6 rating in two games over the last week, helping the Brandon Wheat Kings win their 2009 Husky WHL Eastern Conference Semi-Final best-of-seven series over the Medicine Hat Tigers 4-0.
On Wednesday, April 8th, the Wheat Kings hosted the Medicine Hat Tigers in game three of the best-of-seven series at Westman Place in Brandon. Robak scored a goal and an assist as the Wheaties downed the Tigers 6-1 to take a 3-0 strangle hold in their Husky WHL Eastern Conference Semi-Final. He was also named the games 2nd Star.
In game four of the series on Friday, April 10th, at the Westman Place in Brandon, Robak scored his first career hat-trick netting three goals and adding two assists as the Wheat Kings defeated the Tigers 6-2 to advance to the next round of the 2009 WHL Playoffs. He was also named the games 1st Star. The Wheat Kings will now face the Calgary Hitmen in the Husky WHL Eastern Conference Championship Series starting this week in Calgary.
Robak, an 18-year-old from Gilbert Plains, Manitoba, is currently playing his third season with the Brandon Wheat Kings. The second round - 46th overall selection of the Florida Panthers at the 2008 NHL Entry Draft is coming off a career year offensively picking up 42 points (13 goals, 29 assists) in 65 regular season games played.
The WHL has also nominated Dustin Tokarski of the Spokane Chiefs for the ADT CHL Goaltender of the Week Award. Tokarski posted a 3-1-0-0 record this past week, allowing just seven goals on 158 shots for a 1.270 goals-against average and .956 save percentage.
Tokarski, a 19 year-old from Watson, Saskatchewan, is in his third season of play in the WHL with the Spokane Chiefs. Last season he was named the Memorial Cup MVP and recently helped lead Team Canada to its fifth straight World Junior Gold medal. He led all WHL goaltenders with a 1.97 goals-against average and .937 save percentage through the 2008-09 WHL regular season.
BOSTON PIZZA WHL Player of the Week - 2009 WHL Playoffs
Apr. 6 - Apr. 12: Colby Robak, Brandon Wheat Kings
Mar. 30 - Apr. 5: Jonathon Blum, Vancouver Giants
Mar. 23 - Mar. 29: Mitch Fadden, Tri-City Americans
Mar. 16 - Mar. 22: Matt Lowry, Brandon Wheat Kings
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from April 13, 2009
- Eastern Finals Schedule Announced - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Hitmen To Face Brandon Wheat Kings In Eastern Conference Final - Calgary Hitmen
- WHL Announces Husky WHL Eastern Conference Championship Series Schedule - WHL
- Bernhardt Signs NHL Contract with Phoenix - Prince Albert Raiders
- Game Seven a Familiar Setting - Spokane Chiefs
- Rockets Move Onto the Western Conference Championship - Kelowna Rockets
- Game Notes For Game Seven - Vancouver Giants
- Wheat Kings' Colby Robak named Boston Pizza WHL Player of the Week - WHL
- Giants Earn Double OT Win - Force Game Seven - Spokane Chiefs
- Giants Win 3-2 in Double OT - Vancouver Giants
- Backlund Scores Twice As Rockets Eliminate Americans - Tri-City Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.