Generals Weekly Report
The week began with rookie forward John Mori being named IHL Rookie of the Month for February, his second monthly league honor this season. Play kicks off for the Generals this Wednesday when they welcome back the Port Huron IceHawks. In their last five meetings with the second place 'Hawks the Generals are 4-1-0-0, an incredible turn around from the first half of the season series.
Saturday Fort Wayne returns to Perani for Flint City Pride Night as the Gens look to avenge their most recent run in with the formidable Komets. The two teams have played a tight series thus far with the Gens holding their own with a 2-3-1-1 record against the third place team. If you are proud to live, work, play, go to school in Flint then this night is for you! Groups of ten or more can get tickets for just $5 each! To get the special $5 ticket price, groups need to call and order their tickets no later than one day before the game. If your group is interested in participating in the game we are looking for anthem singers, pep bands, and mascots. Participation is based on a first come first serve basis so those interested should call now and reserve your spot! The Gens then follow the Komets back to Fort Wayne Sunday for a 5:00PM puck drop. Flint is 0-3-1-0 in Fort Wayne this season.
*Last Week:* The Generals last week of action for February did not conclude as the previous two weeks had, managing only one win in four games compared to their two wins in three games in both previous weeks. Action began Wednesday when the Gens hit Muskegon for their third meeting with the 'Jacks in as many games. Unfortunately for the Generals did not have the success against Muskegon that they had a few days prior.
Friday February 26th Bloomington came to town. The game was all Bloomington for the first period putting up a 3-0 lead. The Gens started to pull themselves back into the game but with two additional goals in the third period, the PrairietThunder headed home with a 5-2.
They spent Saturday in Fort Wayne exchanging leads with the Komets. First period action was tight with the home team heading into the first intermission with a 2-1 lead. The second period did not go well for Flint, allowing 4 goals and scoring only two to give the Komets a 6-3 lead heading into the third. They scored two more goals in the third to bring themselves within one but Nick Boucher held on to give the home team the win.
The Gens returned home Sunday to host Port Huron. The first period ended in a scoreless tie that Brandon Kaleniecki broke four minutes into the second on the power play. Brandon Naurato put the IceHawks up 2-0 until John Mori put the Generals on the board. Brandon Gentile tied the game and Jamie Schaafsma gave the Gens a 3-2 lead. The 'Hawks tied it up with.38 seconds left in regulation, sending the game to overtime and then a shootout. It was Matt Moffat that won the game for the home team.
*Ticket Information:* Tickets for this week's games are available at the Perani Ticket Office, by phone at 810-744-0580, or through Ticketmaster. For group ticket information, call the Generals Office at 810-744-0222.
• Discuss this story on the International Hockey League 2 message board...
International Hockey League 2 Stories from March 2, 2010
- Varone On IR - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Dayton Gems Goaltender Ryan Mior Called Up To Albany River Rats - Dayton Gems
- Generals Weekly Report - Flint Generals
- Haun Snags Meijer IHL Goaltender Of The Month - Fort Wayne Komets
- Dayton Gems Welcome Adam And Matt Maccarone - Dayton Gems
- Mori Named IHL Rookie Of The Month - Flint Generals
- Meijer IHL Monthly Honors For February Awarded - IHL 2
- Icehawks Trade With Dayton Gems - Port Huron Icehawks
- Mallards, Salvation Army Team Up For Clothing Drive Friday - Quad City Mallards
- Mallards Weekly Update - Quad City Mallards
- T. Robinson IHL Player Of Month For February - Muskegon Lumberjacks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Flint Generals Stories
- Generals Zvyagin on Shelf, Alban Signed as Emergency Backup
- Generals and Komets Prepare for Game 4 on Friday
- Generals Win Thriller in OT to Take Game 3
- Generals Prepared For Game 3 Of Turner Cup Finals At Home Tonight At 7pm
- Generals Defeat Muskegon In Game 7; Will Face Fort Wayne In Turner Cup Finals