Generals Defeat Muskegon In Game 7; Will Face Fort Wayne In Turner Cup Finals
FLINT, MI - Jamie Schaafsma scored his first of two goals 15 seconds into the game last night and the Flint Generals never looked back on their way to a 5-2 victory in game 7 over the Muskegon Lumberjacks. The victory capped an improbable series comeback for the Generals as they overcame a 3-1 series deficit by winning games 5, 6 and 7 by identical 5-2 scores.
The Generals opened up a 2-0 lead before the 10 minute mark of the first period as Jamie Schaafsma scored both goals, the 2nd on the powerplay. Damien Surma replied for the Lumberjacks as the first period ended with the Generals leading 2-1. John Ronan extended the Generals lead to 3-1 with a powerplay goal at the 6:26 mark of the 2nd, only to see Todd Robinson score short-handed 3 minutes later to cut the lead to 3-2. Tyler Howells responded less than a minute after that to give the Generals their 2 goal lead back. John Mori rounded out the scoring in the game with an empty net goal with 48 seconds left in the 3rd to seal the victory for the Generals. Rob Nolan picked up the victory, stopping 27 of 29 Muskegon shots.
The Generals now turn their attention to the Fort Wayne Komets who also advanced to the Turner Cup Finals by coming back from a 3-1 series deficit and defeating the Port Huron Icehawks. The series opens in Fort Wayne this Saturday and will have a 2-2-1-1-1 format. The Generals will be hosting games 3 and 4 at Perani Arena on Wednesday May 12th and Friday May 14th. Tickets for those games will be going on sale Friday May 7th at 10am. Tickets will be available at Perani Arena Box Office, by phone at (810) 744-0580 or online at www.ticketmaster.com
Turner Cup Finals Schedule
Game 1 - At Fort Wayne - Sat May 8 - 7:30pm
Game 2 - At Fort Wayne - Mon May 10 - 7:30pm
Game 3 - At Flint - Wed May 12 - 7:00pm
Game 4 - At Flint - Fri May 14 - 7:00pm
Game 5* - At Fort Wayne - Sat May 15 - 7:30pm
Game 6* - At Flint - Mon May 17 - 7:00pm
Game 7* - At Fort Wayne - Wed May 19 - 7:30pm
• Discuss this story on the International Hockey League 2 message board...
International Hockey League 2 Stories from May 6, 2010
- Port Huron Icehawks 2009-10 Season Review - Port Huron Icehawks
- Generals Defeat Muskegon In Game 7; Will Face Fort Wayne In Turner Cup Finals - Flint Generals
- Komets To Face Generals For Turner Cup Championship - Fort Wayne Komets
- 2010 IHL Turner Cup Finals Schedule Released - IHL 2
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Flint Generals Stories
- Generals Zvyagin on Shelf, Alban Signed as Emergency Backup
- Generals and Komets Prepare for Game 4 on Friday
- Generals Win Thriller in OT to Take Game 3
- Generals Prepared For Game 3 Of Turner Cup Finals At Home Tonight At 7pm
- Generals Defeat Muskegon In Game 7; Will Face Fort Wayne In Turner Cup Finals