Generals Win Thriller in OT to Take Game 3
FLINT, MI - Jamie Schaafsma scored 11:52 into the first overtime period Wednesday night as the Flint Generals defeated the Fort Wayne Komets 7-6 in game 3 of their Turner Cup Finals series. The Komets lead the series 2 games to 1, with game 4 back at the Perani Arena on Friday night at 7:00pm.
The Generals took a 4-3 lead to the dressing room after the first period on goals by Matt Moffat, Mike Olynyk, John Ronan on the powerplay and John Mori shorthanded. Fort Wayne countered with 3 goals by Matt Syroczynski, one of which was on the powerplay. Justin Chwedoruk tied the game at 4 at the 1:18 mark of the 2nd. Pascal Rheaume put the Generals back on top at the 14:11 mark, but Colin Chaulk tied it again for the Komets :39 seconds later, sending both teams to the break tied at 5. Both teams played a tighter 3rd period with Chwedoruk scoring his 2nd goal of the game at the 14:08 mark. The Generals were but on the powerplay with a 1:37 left in the 3rd, and with goaltender Rob Nolan pulled so the Generals would be 6 on 4, Bryan Smolinski scored with 9.8 seconds remaining in regulation to tie the game at 6. The 2,421 Generals fans in attendance were left sitting on the edge of their seats to start overtime as Mike Olynyk was assessed a minor penalty at the 19:59 mark of the 3rd, which put the Komets on the powerplay for the first 2 minutes of overtime. Strong defensive play allowed the Generals to kill off the Komets powerplay and both teams played fairly even until Schaafsma scored the game winner on a wrap-around to win it for the Generals.
Game 4 is set for Perani Arena on Friday May 14th at 7:00pm. Tickets for that game are on sale at Perani Arena Box Office, by phone at (810) 744-0580 or online at www.ticketmaster.com
Turner Cup Finals Schedule:
Game 1 - At Fort Wayne 3 - Flint 2
Game 2 - At Fort Wayne 2 - Flint 1
Game 3 - At Flint 7 - Fort Wayne 6 - OT
Game 4 - At Flint - Fri May 14 - 7:00pm
Game 5 - At Fort Wayne - Sat May 15 - 7:30pm
Game 6* - At Flint - Mon May 17 - 7:00pm
Game 7* - At Fort Wayne - Wed May 19 - 7:30pm
• Discuss this story on the International Hockey League 2 message board...
International Hockey League 2 Stories from May 12, 2010
- Generals Win Thriller in OT to Take Game 3 - Flint Generals
- Turner Cup Finals: Fort Wayne Leads Series 2-1 after 3 - IHL 2
- Generals Prepared For Game 3 Of Turner Cup Finals At Home Tonight At 7pm - Flint Generals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Flint Generals Stories
- Generals Zvyagin on Shelf, Alban Signed as Emergency Backup
- Generals and Komets Prepare for Game 4 on Friday
- Generals Win Thriller in OT to Take Game 3
- Generals Prepared For Game 3 Of Turner Cup Finals At Home Tonight At 7pm
- Generals Defeat Muskegon In Game 7; Will Face Fort Wayne In Turner Cup Finals