Game Preview: Undefeated Generals Faceoff against Unvictorious Sarnia Sting
Tonight's match is between two teams riding streaks - one very good, and one very bad. The Generals have tied the fourth best start to an OHL season, matching the 2015-16 Erie Otters with a 9-0-0 start. The Sting are having a particularly poor start to the season with a dismal 0-7-0, with at least a three-goal deficit in 4 of those games. The Generals are hoping to get an easy two points from the furthest team from them in the standings, but, facing a team with nothing to lose can be difficult and this will be a spirited match.
Players to Watch; Oshawa Nico Gross - Gross has seen an increase in utilization this season and has grabbed that opportunity by the horns. Gross has already surpassed his career high goal total of 3 with 5 goals this season, and has been a point-per-game player for the OHL leading Generals. His 9 points in 9 games suggest he will also topple his career high in points of 20. Gross has developed quite the chemistry on the powerplay with Generals newcomer, Oliver Suni. Suni has gotten the primary assist on 2 of Gross' 3 powerplay goals.
Kyle MacLean - The Generals captain has started off the season without missing a beat. The workhorse, heart-and-soul forward will leave everything he has on the ice this weekend - as he always does. While MacLean has 4 points in his last 2 games, his impact will also be felt off the scoresheet as he leads your Oshawa Generals into battle this weekend - looking to preserve their perfect record. Captain Kyle always puts on a good show, expect nothing different in this bout.
Players to Watch; Sarnia Jacob Perreault - Perreault leads the team with 10 points in their first 7 games of action. Perreault was recently ranked as an A Prospect (Projected as first round selection) in NHL Central Scouting's preliminary rankings. Perreault was a 30-goal scorer with 55-points as a 16-year old rookie last season and is on pace to exceed those numbers this season. He's not the biggest player at 5'11", but he has a full frame at around 200 lbs. He already has 2-short handed goals on the season and 5 short handed points, so look for him to be aggressive on the penalty kill.
Ryan Roth - Roth is a recent acquisition for the Sting from the Soo Greyhounds. In his last two games with the sting he has scored 3 goals and 6 points for the team. Being a newcomer, and a smaller guy - at 5'7" and 166lbs - look for Roth to be a sneaky player playing a skill game over a physical game.
Key Notes Heading Into the Game:
Oshawa ranked Number 1 in this week's Kia CHL Top 10 - as the top ranked team in Canada.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from October 18, 2019
- Spirit Shocks Troops 9-1 - North Bay Battalion
- Storm's Hillis Records Five Points, Downs Otters 7-5 - Erie Otters
- Fronts Fall 4-2 in Close Game with Bulldogs - Kingston Frontenacs
- Sting Take Down #1 Team in the Country; Beat Generals 9-5 - Sarnia Sting
- Sting Hand Generals First Loss of the Season in High Scoring Affair - Oshawa Generals
- Kade Landry Plays 200th Career Game, Bulldogs Win 4-2 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Six-Goal Second Period Leads Spirit to Decisive 9-1 Victory - Saginaw Spirit
- Team Effort Leads Steelheads to Victory - Mississauga Steelheads
- Colts Lose in Hard Fought Battle against the Wolves - Barrie Colts
- Rangers Lose OT Thriller to the Firebirds, 4-3 - Kitchener Rangers
- 67's Last Minute Comeback Falls Short to Peterborough - Ottawa 67's
- Akil Thomas and Phil Tomasino Score in Hard Fought 3-2 Loss to Steelheads - Niagara IceDogs
- Game Preview: Undefeated Generals Faceoff against Unvictorious Sarnia Sting - Oshawa Generals
- Generals Announce Leadership Group for the 2019/2020 Season - Oshawa Generals
- Spirit Announce Return of Meijer Loyalty Rewards Program - Saginaw Spirit
- Preview: Spirit Face Battalion Friday in Their Only Trip to the Dow - Saginaw Spirit
- Curtis Trolley Re-Assigned to Lindsay Muskies - Peterborough Petes
- Weekend Preview - Steelheads Look to Bounce Back - Mississauga Steelheads
- Sting Get First Win of the Season in Barrie - Sarnia Sting
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Oshawa Generals Stories
- Oshawa Generals Announce 8th Annual Bell Let's Talk Game Night
- Andree, 67s Beat Generals in a Well-Battled Contest
- Game Preview: New-Look Generals Ready to Take on Division Leading 67s
- OHL Announces Postponed Game Between Owen Sound and Oshawa
- Gens Strong Finish Not Enough to Best Sauga in Close Game