Game Preview: Stockton Thunder At Phoenix Roadrunners
FACEOFF: 6:11 p.m.
RADIO: 1420-AM KSTN
INTERNET: www.stocktonthunder.com (B2 Networks)
2007-08 HEAD-TO-HEAD SERIES
10/24/07 Stockton 4 at Phoenix 0
11/06/07 Stockton 4 at Phoenix 3
11/07/07 Stockton 5 at Phoenix 6
11/08/07 Stockton at Phoenix
12/22/07 Phoenix at Stockton
01/26/08 Phoenix at Stockton
02/25/08 Phoenix at Stockton
After last night's shocking comeback by the Phoenix RoadRunners, the Thunder looks to get back on the winning track with the final game of a three-game tilt against the Phoenix RoadRunners from U.S. Airways Center. Following tonight's matchup, both teams are finished with the 07-08 season series in the desert. The Thunder had a nine-game unbeaten streak (8-0-1) snapped in the head-to-head matchup last night - their last loss in regulation was March 7, 2006 in a 2-1 setback at U.S. Airways Center.
LAST GAME RECAP
Jeff Kryzakos had his first career hat trick while adding an assist, sparking a five-goal third period rally for the Phoenix RoadRunners and sending the Thunder to a shocking 6-5 loss at U.S. Airways Center last night. Phoenix scored a club record five goals on the third period with four coming on the power-play. Heading the Thunder offense was rookie Geoff Paukovich, who scored a career-high two goals and defenseman Brad Farynuk, who added three assists.
The assignments of first round selection Ryan O'Marra and NHL-experienced defenseman Sebastien Bisaillon have aided the Thunder offense - since O'Marra's addition on October 24, the Thunder is 4-1-0 and both players have combined for 10 points (7g-3a) since their entry into the Thunder lineup. Since O'Marra's arrival, the Thunder has outscored their opponents at a 23-11 clip.
RISING AGAINST PHOENIX
The Thunder is 11-3-1 in the all-time series against Phoenix and is unbeaten in its last nine of 10 games in regulation (8-1-1) in the head-to-head series. Last year, the Thunder went 5-0-1 in the season matchup and was paced by Nathan Martz's eight points (2g-6a). In two games last year, goaltender Cam Ellsworth had a 0.95 goals-against-average and .971 save percentage.
A look at the 2006-07 head-to-head series:
11/04/06 Phoenix 2 at Stockton 3
11/07/06 Stockton 1 at Phoenix 2 (SO)
01/30/07 Stockton 6 at Phoenix 3
02/06/07 Stockton 2 at Phoenix 1 (OT)
03/30/07 Phoenix 0 at Stockton 4
04/01/07 Phoenix 1 at Stockton 4
Known for their speed and two of the bigger free-agent signings for the Thunder in the offseason, wingers Jesse Bennefield and Andy Contois have combined for 18 points (8g-11a) in the first nine games this season and tied for the team's lead in scoring with nine points each. Bennefield leads the Thunder with six goals - tied for 6th in the ECHL while Contois, who spent his rookie season with the Gwinnett Gladiators, ranks second on the Thunder with seven assists.
ABOUT THE ROADRUNNERS
The Phoenix RoadRunners are in their third ECHL season, led by head coach Brad Church (first full season as head coach) and began the season with their best start in ECHL history at a 3-0-0 pace. Center Daniel Sisca was named the season's first ECHL Player of the Week with a six point-effort (4g-2a), headlining a three-game sweep of the Utah Grizzlies. Last year, Phoenix clinched the eighth seed in the National Conference and its first-ever Kelly Cup Playoff berth with a 27-40-5 record (59 points). The RoadRunners home is U.S. Airways Center, which doubles-up as the host facility to the NBA's Phoenix Suns.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 8, 2007
- Thunder gain revenge by holding off RoadRunners - Stockton Thunder
- Thunder Powers Past RoadRunners 6-4 - Phoenix RoadRunners
- Salmon King Named In Glas Co Player Of The Week - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Aubin, Beauregard, Wilson Deliver Cyclones To First Place - Cincinnati Cyclones
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Salmon Kings' Goldie Named In Glas Co, Player Of The Week - ECHL
- Capitals Name Fitzsimmons Scout - South Carolina Stingrays
- Aces' Beckford-Tseu Named Rbk Hockey Goalie Of The Week - ECHL
- Catters Add Kassian - Texas Wildcatters
- Hurricanes Recall Manzato - Charlotte Checkers
- Final Phoenix Road Trip Precedes Rival Clash - Stockton Thunder
- Former Steelheads Ellis Name MeiGray Group ECHL Alumnus Of The Month - ECHL
- Carolina Hurricanes Assign Goalie To Wranglers - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder At Phoenix Roadrunners - Stockton Thunder
- Campbell Called up to AHL Norfolk; Painchaud and Fretter assigned to Gwinnett - Atlanta Gladiators
- Five-goal comeback gives Lynx amazing win - Augusta Lynx
- Ice Pilots Acquire Goaltender From Idaho's Kelly Cup Team - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- ECHL Today - ECHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Stockton Thunder Stories
- Final Weather Report: All the News and Notes from the Stockton Thunder
- Thunder Announce End of the Year Equipment Sale
- Thunder Win Final ECHL Game in front of Sold Out Crowd
- Final Thunder Home Game at Stockton Arena at 7:30 p.m.
- Larocque Scores in Second Straight against Bakersfield but Team Falls