Former Steelheads Ellis Name MeiGray Group ECHL Alumnus Of The Month
November 8, 2007 - ECHL (ECHL) News Release
PRINCETON, N.J. - Former Idaho Steelheads and current Nashville
Predators goaltender Dan Ellis is the MeiGray Group ECHL Alumnus of the Month
The Saskatoon, Saskatchewan native led National Hockey League rookies with
a goals-against average of 1.90, a save percentage of .929 and a shutout
while going 2-0-0 to help Nashville open the season at 4-7-0.
The 27 year old made his Predators debut on Oct. 10 and stopped all 14
shots after coming on in relief at 8:37 of the second period in a 4-1 loss
at St. Louis. He recorded his first NHL shutout in his first start on Oct.
25 making 20 saves in a 3-0 win against Atlanta, and in his next start
stopped 24 of 27 shots in a 4-3 win against Buffalo.
Selected in the second round (60th overall) by Dallas in the 2000 NHL Entry
Draft, Ellis has won his last four starts, including picking up his second
shutout with 29 saves in a 3-0 win at Vancouver on Nov. 1, and he is second
in the NHL with a goals-against average of 1.35 and a save percentage of
Ellis became the 240th player to play in the National Hockey League after
playing in the ECHL when he made his debut and made 25 saves for Dallas in
a 4-3 win at Los Angeles on Feb. 18, 2005.
In his first professional season in 2003-04, Ellis was named the Most
Valuable Player of the Kelly Cup Playoffs after leading the postseason with
13 wins and three shutouts. He was 4-1 with a shutout, a goals-against
average of 1.95 and a save percentage of .933 in the Kelly Cup Finals as
Idaho won the ECHL title in its inaugural season. Ellis was 13-8-1 with a
goals-against average of 2.56 and a save percentage of .909 in 23 regular
season games with Idaho and was selected to the 2004 ECHL All-Star Game. He
also played for Utah of the AHL where he was 5-14-0 with a goals-against
average of 2.92 and a save percentage of .909 in 20 games.
The ECHL is the top developmental league for both the National Hockey
League and the American Hockey League. It has affiliations with 26 of the
30 teams in the NHL, marking the 11th consecutive season that the league
has had affiliations with at least 20 teams in the NHL, and with 26 of the
29 teams in the AHL. There have been 333 former ECHL players who have
played in the NHL after playing in the ECHL.
Four former ECHL players have made their NHL debut this season: former
Johnstown Chiefs and Fresno Falcons goaltender Dmitri
Patzold (San Jose on Oct. 7), former San Diego goaltender Tyler Weiman
(Colorado on Oct. 4), former Charlotte right wing Craig Weller (Phoenix on
Oct. 4) and former Phoenix RoadRunners center Daniel
Winnik (Phoenix Coyotes on Oct. 4).
The leading distributor of game-worn hockey jerseys and "Official Game-Worn
Jersey Source of the ECHL,"
MeiGray has sold more than 4,000 game-worn ECHL jerseys since the
program began in 2002-03, including nearly 1,000 each of the past three
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 8, 2007
- Thunder gain revenge by holding off RoadRunners - Stockton Thunder
- Thunder Powers Past RoadRunners 6-4 - Phoenix RoadRunners
- Salmon King Named In Glas Co Player Of The Week - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Aubin, Beauregard, Wilson Deliver Cyclones To First Place - Cincinnati Cyclones
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Salmon Kings' Goldie Named In Glas Co, Player Of The Week - ECHL
- Capitals Name Fitzsimmons Scout - South Carolina Stingrays
- Aces' Beckford-Tseu Named Rbk Hockey Goalie Of The Week - ECHL
- Catters Add Kassian - Texas Wildcatters
- Hurricanes Recall Manzato - Charlotte Checkers
- Final Phoenix Road Trip Precedes Rival Clash - Stockton Thunder
- Former Steelheads Ellis Name MeiGray Group ECHL Alumnus Of The Month - ECHL
- Carolina Hurricanes Assign Goalie To Wranglers - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder At Phoenix Roadrunners - Stockton Thunder
- Campbell Called up to AHL Norfolk; Painchaud and Fretter assigned to Gwinnett - Atlanta Gladiators
- Five-goal comeback gives Lynx amazing win - Augusta Lynx
- Ice Pilots Acquire Goaltender From Idaho's Kelly Cup Team - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- ECHL Today - ECHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.