Game Preview: Stockton Thunder At Alaska Aces
DATE: Saturday, December 22, 2012
TIME: 8:15 p.m.
SITE: Sullivan Arena
RADIO: 1280 AM KWSX/StocktonThunder.com (AmericaOne)
Stockton Thunder: Edmonton Oilers
Alaska Aces: Independent
NEXT HOME GAME
Saturday, Dec. 29 vs. Las Vegas Wranglers (7:30 p.m.)
MINI-THOR BOBBLEHEAD GIVEAWAY (presented by Pepsi and 97.7/98.3 KWIN)
The Thunder continues a six game road trip with the finale of a three game series tonight against the Alaska Aces at Sullivan Arena. The Thunder is 28-27-15 against Alaska in the lifetime series. Alaska carries four players with NHL playing experience on their roster: forwards Scott Gomez, Brandon Dubinsky (21-day injured reserve list), Joey Crabb and Nate Thompson. The Thunder is 2-2-1 against Alaska this season and last faced the Aces on Friday in a 5-1 loss at Sullivan Arena.
2012-2013 Head to Head Schedule: (2-2-1)
Sat. Nov. 3 Alaska 4 at Stockton 7
Sun. Nov. 4 Alaska 1 at Stockton 5
Wed. Nov. 28 Alaska 6 at Stockton 2
Wed. Dec. 19 Stockton 3 at Alaska 4 (SO)
Fri. Dec. 21 Stockton 1 at Alaska 5
Sat. Dec. 22 at Alaska 8:15 p.m.
Fri. Jan. 4 Alaska 7:30 p.m.
Fri. Feb. 8 at Alaska 8:15 p.m.
Sat. Feb. 9 at Alaska 8:15 p.m.
Sun. Feb. 10 at Alaska 4:05 p.m.
NOTE OF THE NIGHT
The Thunder is 8-0-2 when leading after one period this season.
LAST THREE GAMES:
AK 5 - STK 1 (12/21/12): The Alaska Aces used multi point games from Scott Gomez, Kane Lafranchise and Alexandre Imbeault to send the Stockton Thunder (15-8-6, 36 points) to a 5-1 defeat before 4,889 fans at Sullivan Arena on Saturday. The Thunder, who nearly rallied out of a 3-0 deficit in the third period, collected a power play goal by Eric Hunter. Alaska followed up with consecutive goals by Gomez and Imbeault to put the game away. Gerald Coleman made 26 saves in net to earn the win.
AK 4 - STK 3 (SO) (12/19/12): Corey Syvret scored on a snap shot from the inside of the right circle in the bottom of the sixth round to help the Alaska Aces send the Stockton Thunder (15-7-6, 36 points) to a 4-3 shootout defeat before 3,581 fans at Sullivan Arena on Saturday. The Thunder, who moved to 1-0-1 on a six game road trip, fought back from a 3-2 deficit in the third period and collected goals by Yannick Riendeau, Mike Little and Justin Maylan.
STK 6 - SF 4 (12/17/12): The Stockton Thunder (15-7-5, 35 points) squared off against the San Francisco Bulls at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, home of the NHL's San Jose Sharks. The spotlight brought out the best of the Thunder, as they defeated the Bulls for the first time this season in a wild 6-4 contest in front of 12,881 fans in San Jose. The Thunder received a stellar effort from forward Toni Rajala, who recorded the team's first hat trick of the season and first in over a calendar year. Goaltender Cody Reichard (7-1-2) earned the win, stopping 25 shots.
COVERED WITH OIL
The Edmonton Oilers return as the NHL affiliate of the Thunder for the seventh straight season, helping advance eight players from the Thunder onto playing in the National Hockey League. The Thunder has also never missed the playoffs since first connecting with the Oilers in 2006-07. Edmonton has won five Stanley Cup championships and sent seven players onto induction in the Hockey Hall of Fame. Among the players assigned to Stockton, beginning this season, was LW Philippe Cornet, who made his NHL debut with Edmonton and led the AHL affiliate Oklahoma City Barons with 24 goals last season.
Center Justin Maylan is tied for the ECHL rookie lead in scoring with 27 points this season in 27 games. He has collected seven points in the last eight games. Maylan has also posted seven multi point games and earned a goal in Wednesday's game at Alaska.
ROLLING IN THE (RIEN)DEAU
Forward Yannick Riendeau has 17 points in the last 13 games and has posted eight multi point games this season. He earned a goal and an assist on Wednesday at Alaska and is on a seven game assist streak at home.
PLAYING THE REICHARD
Thunder goaltender Cody Reichard became the 11th goaltender in Thunder history to earn the ECHL Goaltender of the Week award last week. Reichard was awarded the honor on Dec. 11 after he posted a record of 2-0-1, a 2.30 goals-against average and a .966 save percentage for the week of Dec. 3-9.
AN OFFENSE DRESSED TO THE NINES
The Thunder tied a club record for most goals in a game (9) on Nov. 12 in a 9-6 victory at Utah, matching the record previously set on Dec. 10, 2011 against Bakersfield. The Thunder also notched a season high for most goals (5) in a period, accomplishing the feat in the second period at Maverik Center on Nov. 12. The Thunder is averaging 3.5 goals per game this season, ranking fifth in the ECHL.
OH CAPTAIN MY CAPTAIN
Garet Hunt was named the sixth captain in Thunder history on Oct. 12, taking the "C" for the first time in his career for full-time duty. Hunt served as an alternate captain for the Thunder last season and has helped guide the team to the playoffs for four straight seasons since his 2008-09 rookie campaign. Hunt is the Thunder all time leader with 272 games played.
THUNDER CROWDS ROLL IN
The Thunder has drawn over 200,000 fans for seven straight seasons to Stockton Arena, totaling over 1.5 million through the turnstiles since opening in 2005-06. There have been 17 sellouts at Stockton Arena in Thunder history and last season, there were seven crowds of 7,000 or more at Thunder home games. The Thunder drew a club record 244,085 fans to Stockton Arena in 2006-07. Last season, the Thunder ranked third in ECHL attendance.
TOP FIVE THUNDER HOME CROWDS IN 2011-12
OPPONENT DATE ATTENDANCE
1. Alaska 3/3/12 9,398
2. Bakersfield 3/24/12 9,323
3. Utah 11/5/11 9,012
4. Alaska 1/28/12 7,613
5. Utah 3/17/12 7,537
- Ryan Constant is 4 assists away from 100 in his professional career
- Mike Little is 2 games away from 100 in his ECHL career
- Yannick Riendeau is 13 assists away from 100 in his professional career
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 22, 2012
- Idaho Falls in Shootout in Front of Sellout Crowd - Idaho Steelheads
- Wranglers Win Third Road Game in a Row - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Eagles Continue Winning Ways Despite Lack of Skaters - Colorado Eagles
- Condors Head to Holiday Break with Loss in Colorado - Bakersfield Condors
- K-Wings drop seventh straight on road - Kalamazoo Wings
- Orlando Slips Past Everblades in Overtime 2-1 - Florida Everblades
- Road Warriors Move to First in the South Division - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Cruthers OT Goal Lifts Solar Bears to 2-1 Win over Florida - Orlando Solar Bears
- Cyclones Win Third Straight by Sinking Stingrays, 2-1 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Cruthers OT Goal Lifts Solar Bears to 2-1 Win over Florida - Orlando Solar Bears
- Cyclones Squeak Past Stingrays 2-1 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Elmira suffers setback - Elmira Jackals
- Gladiators Fall to Royals 6-3 - Atlanta Gladiators
- SF Bulls Visit Reign in Final Game Before the Break - San Francisco Bulls
- Defenseman Denny Urban Returned to Reading - Reading Royals
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder At Alaska Aces - Stockton Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - December 22 - ECHL
- Reign Keep Bulls at Bay, 3-1 - Ontario Reign
- Titans GameDay vs. Fort Wayne - December 22 - Trenton Titans
- Cyclones Game Preview - Cincinnati vs. South Carolina - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Countdown to Face-Off: K-Wings at IceMen - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Florida Everblades Tonight - December 22 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Elmira Jackals Game Preview - Elmira Jackals
- K-Wings Add Kivisto - Kalamazoo Wings
- Caron, Petersen Recalled to Houston - Orlando Solar Bears
- Stingrays Game Preview: Stingrays Wrap up Season Series with Cyclones Tonight - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Today - December 22 - ECHL
- Aces Roll over Thunder 5-1 - Alaska Aces
- Early third period rally denied, Alaska takes second game of series - Stockton Thunder
- World Doesn't End, But Bulls Lose to Reign, 3-1 - San Francisco Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Stockton Thunder Stories
- Final Weather Report: All the News and Notes from the Stockton Thunder
- Thunder Announce End of the Year Equipment Sale
- Thunder Win Final ECHL Game in front of Sold Out Crowd
- Final Thunder Home Game at Stockton Arena at 7:30 p.m.
- Larocque Scores in Second Straight against Bakersfield but Team Falls