Game Preview: New England Revolution at Inter Miami CF
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. - The New England Revolution (8-3-3; 27 pts.) will visit Inter Miami CF (2-7-2; 8 pts.) on Wednesday, July 21 at DRV PNK Stadium for the first-ever meeting between the two Eastern Conference sides. The match kicks off at 7:30 p.m. ET on WSBK-TV38 and myRITV, as well as on the radio on 98.5 The Sports Hub and 1260 AM Nossa Radio.
New England, still atop the Eastern Conference table after last Saturday's 1-0 win at Atlanta United, returns to the road as one of the strongest MLS teams away from home. The Revs enter Week 14 of the MLS season tied for the league lead in wins (8) and away wins (3), while the club's 14 away wins in the regular season and playoffs under Bruce Arena are the most in MLS since June 2019. During that span, no team has scored more away goals than New England, while the club's 11 road goals this season are second most in MLS. Meanwhile, Inter Miami CF - which joined the league as an expansion side in 2020 - is winless at home this season with an 0-4-1 mark in Fort Lauderdale.
Argentinian forward Gustavo Bou, who has scored in six of his last seven games played, delivered the game-winning goal in the Revolution's recent triumph in Atlanta. Bou's seven tallies are tied for third most league-wide entering the week. His partner in the attack, Adam Buksa, is close on heels with five goals in his second MLS campaign. Buksa, who has played in every game since arriving in New England, picked up his third MLS assist on Bou's winner. Midfielder Carles Gil supplied both forwards with service throughout the match as he logged five key passes in the win, raising his MLS-best total to 73 chances created - more than halfway to the single-season record.
In Saturday's win, veteran goalkeeper Brad Knighton backstopped New England to its fourth clean sheet of the season with a five-save effort. Now one start away from his 75th in MLS play, Knighton has started the last two games in net while Matt Turner is away on international duty with the United States in the Concacaf Gold Cup. Defender Andrew Farrell made his 250th regular season start in the shutout and is poised to climb another place on the Revs' all-time games played list. His next appearance will be his 254th with New England, matching Matt Reis for the third most appearances in a Revolution shirt.
Wednesday's match reunites Sporting Director and Head Coach Bruce Arena with Inter Miami CF Owner and President of Soccer Operations David Beckham. Arena coached Beckham at the LA Galaxy from 2008-2012, winning back-to-back MLS Cup titles in 2011 and 2012, and consecutive Supporters' Shields in 2010 and 2011. Arena's next victory will be his 25th win New England. Opposite Arena in Miami's technical area is head coach Phil Neville, a former England international and six-time Premier League champion as a player.
Inter Miami, in its second MLS season, currently sits in 14th place in the Eastern Conference. The Herons have scored one goal over their last five matches, including a 1-0 loss to Montreal in the club's most recent outing on July 3. However, Miami's attack always poses a dangerous threat as Argentinian forward Gonzalo Higuaín leads Neville's side with a team-high five goals scored this season.
Game 15 at Inter Miami CF
Date: Wednesday, July 21, 2021
Kickoff: 7:30 p.m. ET
Location: DRV PNK Stadium (Fort Lauderdale, Florida)
TV: WSBK-TV38, myRITV
Talent: Brad Feldman (play-by-play), Charlie Davies (analyst)
English Radio: 98.5 The Sports Hub
Portuguese Radio: WBIX 1260 AM "Nossa Radio USA"
Here are a few top storylines to watch for on Wednesday:
New England (27 pts.) reaching the 30-point mark through only 15 games played.
The Revolution (8) winning nine of a season's first 15 games for the third time in club history (1997 and 2005).
The Revolution recording consecutive away wins for the second time this season. The club defeated FC Cincinnati, 1-0, and the New York Red Bulls, 3-2, on May 29 and June 19, respectively.
New England adding to the club's three road wins and 11 away goals this season, which rank tied for first and second in MLS, respectively. The Revolution lead MLS with 14 away wins and 50 away goals (reg. season and playoffs) since Bruce Arena began coaching the team in June 2019.
Bruce Arena reuniting with Inter Miami CF Owner and President of Soccer Operations David Beckham, who he coached with the LA Galaxy from 2008-12 en route to two MLS Cup titles and two Supporters' Shields.
F Gustavo Bou building on his six goals over his last seven games and closing the gap with the league scoring leaders (10 goals).
F Adam Buksa getting on the scoresheet with a goal or an assist for the third consecutive game.
M Carles Gil adding to his league-leading 10 assists and 73 chances created. The Spaniard's chance creation is nearly double that of the second-place player (Brooks Lennon - 37).
D Andrew Farrell (253) tying Matt Reis (254) for third place on the club's all-time games played list. Farrell would then trail only Diego Fagundez and Shalrie Joseph (261) for the most MLS appearances in Revs history.
GK Brad Knighton, on the cusp of his 75th MLS start, making his third consecutive start between the sticks for New England.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 20, 2021
- Earthquakes Forward Cade Cowell Joins USMNT Camp - San Jose Earthquakes
- What to Watch for as Nashville SC Makes Midweek Road Trip to Columbus Crew - Nashville SC
- Rapids Seeking Undefeated 2021 against DallasÃÂ - Colorado Rapids
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. FC Cincinnati - Atlanta United FC
- Neville, Shawcross and Ulloa Hail Team Unity Ahead of Home Matches - Inter Miami CF
- RAVE Foundation, Puyallup Tribe of Indians and Tacoma Public Schools Announce Construction of Mini Pitch at Boze Elementary - Seattle Sounders FC
- Real Salt Lake Welcomes LA Galaxy to Rio Tinto Stadium - Real Salt Lake
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decision Announced - MLS
- Sporting Back Home Wednesday to Host San Jose - Sporting Kansas City
- Columbus Crew Encourages Fans to Arrive Early for Midweek Match at Lower.com Field - Columbus Crew SC
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at Inter Miami CF - New England Revolution
- Inter Miami CF to Host the New England Revolution on WednesdayÃÂ - Inter Miami CF
- D.C. United Loan Forward Erik Sorga to Loudoun United FC - D.C. United
- D.C. United Recall Forward Jovanny Bolívar from Loudoun United FC Loan - D.C. United
- Red Bulls Travel North for Mid-Week Matchup against Toronto FC - New York Red Bulls
- The Pitch: Argentina's Barco and Bravo Set for Tokyo Olympic Games - MLS
- Ayo Akinola Suffers ACL Injury - Toronto FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New England Revolution Stories
- New England Revolution Return Home to Host Orlando City SC
- Revolution Clinch Playoff Berth with 3-2 Win at Chicago Fire FC
- New England Revolution Academy Highlights: September 22, 2021
- First-Place Revolution Visit Chicago Fire FC
- Revolution Battle Columbus Crew to 1-1 Draw