Galaxy shore up depth with draft picks Meyer, Walker
Building depth was a priority for Galaxy coach Bruce Arena heading into Thursday's MLS SuperDraft.
In selecting center back Tommy Meyer and defensive midfielder Kenney Walker, the Galaxy took two key steps in doing just that ahead of the 2012 MLS season.
First-round choice Meyer, a 6-foot-2 defender from Indiana University, could fight for playing time early as he attempts to fill the hole left by Omar Gonzalez's knee injury.
"He's got a pretty good background, from one of the premier collegiate soccer programs," Arena said in a conference call. "He has all the characteristics to become a good professional, has got the right physical requirements to be a good center back in terms of his height, which is important in being a center back.
"We wanted to get a center back with good physical characteristics as well as someone who can play a little bit."
Arena said the club needed to get deeper at center back regardless of the news of the ACL injury Gonzalez suffered last week.
"We were taking a center back well in advance of Omar suffering an injury," Arena said. "That was the plan for the draft this year, that we were going to get a center back."
Meyer, the sixth defender taken in the draft, impressed Arena when the two met prior to the draft.
"Tommy is a very impressive young man, a bright kid, confident, has a burning desire to become a professional," Arena said. "I walked away from our meeting feeling good about him."
Walker, meanwhile, did not get a chance to meet with Arena or the Galaxy before the draft. Arena said he felt Walker would be gone by the time the Galaxy picked again, with the 39th overall choice.
That he was still there caught Arena off guard.
"Kenney Walker absolutely impressed me during the combine "" I thought he was one of the better players," Arena noted. "I think he just played very well for three days and I was surprised he was not taken in the first round. We were going to make another selection at the end of the second round, but if he was still available, he was going to be taken."
A 5-foot-9 midfielder, Walker adds depth at a spot vacated by Juninho.
"He fills a position that we could use a little help with anyway," Arena said. "He's a defensive midfielder, good player, good passer of the ball. If you put him in the right environment and with the right attitude, hopefully he's a player that will grow with the Galaxy and become a good player for us."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 17, 2012
- Chivas USA Selects Five Players in 2012 MLS Supplemental Draft - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Chivas USA Acquires Goalkeeper Tim Melia - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Whitecaps FC Select Four Players in MLS Supplemental Draft - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Impact Acquires Defender Gienir Garcia from Whitecaps - Montreal Impact
- Whitecaps FC Acquire MLS Discovery Rights to Striker Etienne Barbara - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Real Salt Lake Acquires Rights to Leone Cruz, Keeps Three Selections from SuperDraft - Real Salt Lake
- Galaxy shore up depth with draft picks Meyer, Walker - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Sounders FC Selects Four Players in MLS Supplemental Draft - Seattle Sounders FC
- Dynamo Select Five Players in 2012 MLS Supplemental Draft - Houston Dynamo
- Crew Selects Four in MLS Supplemental Draft - Columbus Crew SC
- The Montreal Impact Adds Four Players in MLS Supplemental Draft - Montreal Impact
- Timbers Select Four Players in 2012 MLS Supplemental Draft - Portland Timbers
- Toronto FC Select Five Players in Supplemental Draft - Toronto FC
- Chicago Fire Select Four Players in 2012 MLS Supplemental Draft - Chicago Fire
- New York Selects Three Players in 2012 MLS Supplemental Draft - New York Red Bulls
- Philadelphia Union Select Four in 2012 MLS Supplemental Draft - Philadelphia Union
- 75 Players Selected in 2012 MLS Supplemental Draft - MLS
- Rapids Select Yamada and Helmick in Supplemental Draft - Colorado Rapids
- D.C. United Selects Three Players in Supplemental Draft - D.C. United
- Sporting KC Selects Four in Supplemental Draft - Sporting Kansas City
- Vancouver Whitecaps FC and BC Soccer Introduce Youth Soccer Season Ticket - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Quaker Oats and Chicago Fire Soccer Club Team Up - Chicago Fire
- Impact and Olympic Park Announce Four-Year Partnership - Montreal Impact
- New York Red Bulls Weekly Update - New York Red Bulls
- Whitecaps FC Acquire Goalkeeper Brad Knighton - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Timbers Sign Colombian Defender Hanyer Mosquera - Portland Timbers
- Earthquakes Acquire Fourth Round Supplemental Draft Pick for Right of First Refusal for M Michael Th - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sporting Kansas City Acquires Right of First Refusal for Midfielder Michael Thomas - Sporting Kansas City
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Los Angeles Galaxy Stories
- Full Schedule Announced for 2018 International Champions Cup Presented by Heineken
- LA Galaxy Tops Chicago 1-0
- LA Galaxy Sign Forward Ola Kamara to Three-Year Contract
- LA Galaxy to Wear Jerseys Made from Parley Ocean Plastic for April 21 Match
- StubHub Center to Host 4th Annual Campeon de Campeones and SuperCopa MX Doubleheader on July 15