Galaxy Acquire Defender Shavar Thomas From Kansas City
CARSON, Calif. (Friday, March 23, 2007) - The Los Angeles Galaxy have acquired defender Shavar Thomas from the Kansas City Wizards in exchange for a conditional second round pick in the 2008 MLS SuperDraft. The Jamaican international and four-year MLS veteran center back comes to the Galaxy after spending the last three years with the Kansas City Wizards. The Galaxy currently have three picks in the second round of the 2008 MLS SuperDraft. Kansas City will now receive L.A.'s final pick in that round.
Thomas was originally drafted by the Dallas Burn in the first round (10th overall) of the 2003 MLS SuperDraft, playing in 15 games as a rookie for Dallas before being traded to Kansas City at the end of the 2003 campaign. In three years with the Wizards, Thomas played in 76 games, starting 70, primarily as a center back. In 91 career MLS regular season games, he has three goals and one assist, with the last of his three goals coming against the Galaxy on Sept. 2, 2006.
Thomas is a veteran of the Jamaican National Team where he has often partnered his new teammate Tyrone Marshall in central defense. Thomas made his National Team debut in 1999 and has earned 12 caps with the full National Team while also representing Jamaica at every youth level.
Prior to coming to MLS, Thomas played two years at the University of Connecticut, helping the Huskies compile a 32-11-2 record during his two years with the team. Thomas appeared in 36 of those games, missing nine games while helping the Jamaican National Team in its attempt to qualify for the 2002 FIFA World Cup. As a sophomore in 2002, Thomas was named to the All-Big East and NSCAA All-New England First Team and was a second team All-American.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 23, 2007
- Galaxy Acquire Defender Shavar Thomas From Kansas City - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Toronto FC Unveils Jersey Sponsor - Toronto FC
- D.C. United and Comcast SportsNet Present 'Lunch with D.C. United' - D.C. United
- Galaxy Waives Midfielder Josh Gardner - Los Angeles Galaxy
- D.C. United kicks off 2007 Premier Tournament Series - D.C. United
- Milestone Deal Puts Herbalife Name on Galaxy Jerseys as Presenting Sponsor - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Rapids Trade Defender Hunter Freeman to Red Bull New York - Colorado Rapids
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Los Angeles Galaxy Stories
- AEG Announces New Partnership with Dignity Health, Renames LA Galaxy Home Stadium Dignity Health Sports Park
- LA Galaxy Name Dennis te Kloese General Manager
- LA Galaxy Exercise 2019 Contract Options on Four Players
- LA Galaxy to Host Inaugural 2019 eMLS League Series One in January
- Applications to Join LA Galaxy Star Squad for 2019 Season Are Now Open