Francisco Calvo and Gastón Giménez Called up for National Team Duty as Chicago Fire FC Heads into FIFA Break
CHICAGO - Chicago Fire FC enters a one-week FIFA break as the team prepares for away games against the New England Revolution on Saturday, Oct. 16, and FC Cincinnati on Wednesday, Oct. 20. Following the match against Toronto FC at BMO Field on Sunday, Chicago Fire captain Francisco Calvo and midfielder Gastón Giménez traveled to join the Costa Rica National Team and the Paraguay National Team, respectively, for three upcoming 2022 FIFA World Cup Qualifying match dates.
Calvo joins Costa Rica for a three-game stretch in Concacaf's final round of qualifying. Costa Rica travels to face Honduras at 7:05 p.m. CT on Thursday, Oct. 7, at the Estadio Olímpico in San Pedro Sula, Honduras. The Ticos will then host El Salvador at 5:05 p.m. CT on Sunday, Oct. 10, at the Estadio Nacional in San Jose, Costa Rica. The third match date will see Costa Rica face the United States at 6:00 p.m. CT on Wednesday, Oct. 13 at Lower.com Field in Cincinnati, Ohio. Costa Rica currently sits in fifth place with two points in the eight-team round-round after three match dates played.
Giménez heads to Asunción, where Paraguay will host Argentina at 6:00 p.m. CT on Thursday, Oct. 7, at the Estadio Defensores del Chaco. Paraguay will then travel to face Chile at 7:00 p.m. CT on Sunday, Oct. 10, at the Estadio San Carlos de Apoquindo in the Santiago Metropolitan Area. La Albirroja closes out the October FIFA window against Bolivia at 3:00 p.m. CT on Thursday, Oct. 14, at the Estadio Hernando Siles in La Paz, Bolivia. Paraguay has 11 points after nine matches played in the 10-team South American round-robin, which currently puts them in sixth place.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 4, 2021
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: October 4, 2021 - San Jose Earthquakes
- LA Galaxy and LAFC Issue Joint Statement - LA Galaxy
- Three Timbers Players Called up for International Duty - Portland Timbers
- Four Houston Dynamo FC Players Named to FIFA World Cup Qualifying Rosters - Houston Dynamo FC
- Francisco Calvo and Gastón Giménez Called up for National Team Duty as Chicago Fire FC Heads into FIFA Break - Chicago Fire FC
- Vancouver Whitecaps FC Forward Brian White Voted MLS Player of the Week for Week 29 - MLS
- Zac Brown Band to Headline 2022 National Soccer Hall of Fame Weekend - FC Dallas
- Austin FC Midfielder Cecilio Domínguez Named to MLS Team of the Week - Austin FC
- Philadelphia Union's Chris Albright to Join FC Cincinnati as New General Manager - Philadelphia Union
- Orlando City SC, Orlando Pride Announce 2021 Breast Cancer Awareness Month Initiatives - Orlando City SC
- Five Points: Take a Break - New York City FC
- Six Philadelphia Union Players Receive International Call-Ups - Philadelphia Union
- Sporting KC Weekly - Sporting Kansas City
- Rapids Fall 3-0 on the Road vs Sounders - Colorado Rapids
- Sounders FC Breezes Past Colorado in 3-0 Home Victory - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy Battle LAFC to 1-1 Draw at Dignity Health Sports Park on Sunday Night - LA Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Fire FC Stories
- Chicago Fire FC Re-Signs Defender Wyatt Omsberg
- Homegrown Goalkeeper Gabriel Slonina Earns First U.S. Men's National Team Call-Up
- Chicago Fire FC Re-Signs Defender Jonathan Bornstein
- Chicago Fire FC Recognized with First Regional Emmy Nomination
- Chicago Fire FC Names Ezra Hendrickson Head Coach