Fort Worth Cats sign Aaron Crow
The Fort Worth Cats of the American Association have signed pitcher Aaron Crow, it was announced today. The right-hander out of the University of Missouri was the ninth overall pick in the 2008 Major League Draft by the Washington Nationals, but has been unable to reach an agreement with the Nationals. The deadline to sign players from the draft is midnight on Aug. 15. Crow will be in a Cats' uniform if he does not sign with Washington.
Crow went 13-0 this past season for Missouri with a 2.35 ERA and 127 strikeouts in 107 innings and was the Big 12 Conference Pitcher of the Year.
The Cats have won a modern-day record three straight independent league championships. Fort Worth won the American Association in 2006 and 2007 and captured the Central Baseball League championship in 2005.
The Cats have already qualified for the 2008 American Association playoffs by winning the first-half title in the South Division.
Kansas City pitcher Luke Hochevar was with the Cats in 2006 before becoming the No. 1 overall pick in the 2006 June draft by the Royals. Last season, Max Scherzer pitched for the Cats before signing a multi-million dollar deal with the Arizona Diamondbacks.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 13, 2008
- Diablos split in doubleheader - El Paso Diablos
- American Association recap-- August 13 - AA
- Saltdogs take 3 of 4 from Saints - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Grand Prairie Sweeps Shreveport with 3-2 win - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Saints Doubled Up by Saltdogs 4-2 - St. Paul Saints
- Canaries take sixth straight - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Fort Worth Cats sign Aaron Crow - Fort Worth Cats
- X's fall to Cats 8-5 - Sioux City Explorers
- Cats stop the Explorers 8-5 - Sioux City Explorers
- Pels/UWF to Name Field at Pelican Park - Pensacola Pelicans
- Saints and Butter Kernel to Hold Canned Food Drive to Support Hope For the City - St. Paul Saints
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.