Saints Doubled Up by Saltdogs 4-2
LINCOLN, NE (August 13, 2008) - With a great opportunity to gain ground on the teams in front of them the St. Paul Saints couldn't muster much offense in a 4-2 loss to the Lincoln Saltdogs Wednesday night at Haymarket Park.
In a battle of pitchers, for most of the night, Saints lefty Mark Romanczuk and Saltdogs righty Ryan Trytten went toe-to-toe. In the second the Saltdogs struck first when Romanczuk hit Kit Pellow. He moved to second when Ben Thomas committed an error on a grounder by Shawn McGill. The next batter Curt Miaso singled home Pellow giving the Saltdogs a 1-0 lead.
It remained that way until the seventh when the Saints tied it up. With one out Kevin Sullivan and Adam Hale drew back-to-back walks. With two outs Ryan Priddy hit a sinking liner to right-center that Miaso dove for, but couldn't come up with allowing Sullivan to score. Trytten went 6.2 innings allowing one run on four hits while walking four and striking out three.
The Saltdogs didn't waste any time regaining the lead in the bottom of the inning as Albenis Machado led off with a solo homer to left, his first of the season. Romanczuk went 6.1 innings allowing two runs on six hits while walking two and striking out three.
The Saltdogs tacked on two insurance runs in the eighth off of reliever Mike Bille. The inning started when Matt Maloney hit a fly ball to left that Hale dropped for a two base error. A wild pitch moved Maloney to third and Bille walked McGill. He stole second and Miaso followed with a two-run single making it 4-1.
The Saints made a little noise in the ninth when Kevin Sullivan led off with a solo homer to right, his ninth of the season. Hale reached on a hit by pitch, but Heath Keel grounded into a double play ending the Saints threat.
The Saints return home Thursday night to take on the Wichita Wingnuts in game one of a three game series at 7:05 p.m. at Midway Stadium. The Saints send RHP Charlie Ruud (12-3, 3.50) to the mound against Wingnuts RHP Larry Robles (1-0, 0.73). It is Canned Food Night presented by Butter Kernel. The game can be seen on the Saints Cable network (check saintsbaseball.com for the channel in your area) and heard on Relevant Radio 1330.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 13, 2008
- Diablos split in doubleheader - El Paso Diablos
- American Association recap-- August 13 - AA
- Saltdogs take 3 of 4 from Saints - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Grand Prairie Sweeps Shreveport with 3-2 win - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Saints Doubled Up by Saltdogs 4-2 - St. Paul Saints
- Canaries take sixth straight - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Fort Worth Cats sign Aaron Crow - Fort Worth Cats
- X's fall to Cats 8-5 - Sioux City Explorers
- Cats stop the Explorers 8-5 - Sioux City Explorers
- Pels/UWF to Name Field at Pelican Park - Pensacola Pelicans
- Saints and Butter Kernel to Hold Canned Food Drive to Support Hope For the City - St. Paul Saints
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent St. Paul Saints Stories
- Saints NCAA Tournament Promotion Nets One Lucky Fan $10,000, Live Drawing March 20 at 1 p.m. Central on Social Media
- Right, Left, Right, Saints Re-Sign Pitchers Nittoli and Frosch, Sign Triple-A Reliever Wheeler
- What Animals, Saints 2018 Promotions Schedule Highlighted by Ballpark Wide Food Fight
- Saints to Induct Three Deserving Pigs into "Monument Pork"
- Grass Is Greener...Saints Head Groundskeeper Contract "Purchased" by Brewers Organization