Former Fire QB Announced AFL Co-Rookie of the Year
Former Louisville Fire quarterback Brett Dietz was named the Arena Football League's Co-Rookie of the Year today by the by AFL head coaches, fans, players and the Arena Football League Writers Association (AFLWA), the League announced today. Dietz, quarterback of the Tampa Bay Storm, shares the award with Kansas City Brigade wide receiver Charles Frederick.
Dietz, who won both Offensive Player of the Week (Week 14) and Rookie of the Month (May, June) honors, completed 199-of-302 passes for 2,395 yards and 47 touchdowns, setting the AFL single-season record for completion percentage by a rookie with at least 300 attempts (65.9) and achieved the second-highest passer rating for a rookie (119.3) in the process.
Dietz, who earned All-Rookie honors last week, guided the Storm to an 8-1 record once he became a regular under center. The Storm began the season 1-6 and due much to the play of Dietz, finished the season at 9-7 earning the third seed in the National Conference playoff standings. He became the first player in AFL history to be named Rookie of the Year in the AFL after winning the same honor in af2 (2006).
Former Fire offensive lineman Will Rabatin was also a candidate for Rookie of the Year.
Come see who the Fire will send to the AFL next this Saturday, July 7, 2007 at 7:00pm in Freedom Hall. For tickets call 368-0009.
The Arena Football League contributed to this release.
• Discuss this story on the arenafootball2 message board...
arenafootball2 Stories from July 5, 2007
- Dine with the Copperheads - Texas Copperheads
- Four AFL contests to feature 43 players with previous af2 experience - af2
- Less Than 1000 Tickets Remain for Firecats Final Home Game - Florida Firecats
- Week Fifteen: Friday Night Matchup - af2
- "Three-Alarm Threat" to silence Thunder - Louisville Fire
- Fire Game Notes - Louisville Fire
- af2 Week Fifteen: Quick Hitters - af2
- Blitz Bring in Reinforcements - Bakersfield Blitz
- Burn Celebrate 7/7/07 - Boise Burn
- Yard Dawgz Game Preview - Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz
- Yard Dawgz Welcome Back af2 Veteran - Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz
- "NFL Night" Is Coming To Stockton Arena - Stockton Lightning
- Former Fire QB Announced AFL Co-Rookie of the Year - Louisville Fire
- Fusion Prepares for Pioneers with $7 tickets - Fort Wayne Fusion
- Vipers assigned Central Florida defensive lineman Frisner Nelson - Alabama Vipers
- Jungle Kats Look to Tame Wolves Saturday Night - Cincinnati Jungle Kats
- Florida Firecats game notes - Florida Firecats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.