For Openers a Vince-Tastic Victory for Yard Goats
HARTFORD - Vince Fernandez homered, doubled twice, knocked in four runs and scored three, lifting the Hartford Yard Goats to a 10-5 win over the New Hampshire Fisher Cats Thursday night in the Goat's 2019 home opener at Dunkin' Donuts Park. He also walked once . The game was played before a sellout crowd of 6,850. Fernandez, whose three-run homer to right-center in the third inning broke open a one-run game, enabled the Yard Goats to finally beat New Hampshire, after losing all 11 games to the Fisher Cats at home in 2018. It was also the Yard Goats first home opening win in three tries at Dunkin' Donuts Park.
Hartford (2-6), which unleashed a 14-hit attack, turned in its best offensive performance of the young season. Alan Trejo added three hits, including a double and a run scored, while Arvicent Perez had two hits and two RBI.
"I thought we hit well with two strikes," said Yard Goats manager Warren Schaeffer, who was also pleased with the 5 2/3 scoreless innings from his bullpen.
Reliever Heath Holder registered his first win, pitching 2 2/3 innings of scoreless relief with three strike outs and one walk. Alexander Guillen and Ben Bowden also combined for three scoreless innings. Hartford pitchers struck out 13, although the Fisher Cats collected 14 hits.
New Hampshire (3-4) was led by former Hartford Yard Goat Forrest Wall, who had a double and two singles. Kevin Smith added a home run, double and single, while Nash Knight had three hits.
Game two of the four game series is Friday night at Dunkin' Donuts Park. It will be a battle of left handed pitchers as Ty Culbreth goes for the Yard Goats and Zach Logue for the Fisher Cats. The game will be broadcast on AM 1410 and newsradio1410.iheart.com
NH 5-14-0HFD 10-14-1
WP- Heath Holder (1-0)
LP- Hector Perez (0-2)
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from April 11, 2019
- RubberDucks Edged in 12 - Akron RubberDucks
- For Openers a Vince-Tastic Victory for Yard Goats - Hartford Yard Goats
- Madris, Curve Walk off 'Ducks in Home Opener - Altoona Curve
- Paez Pushes Ponies to Walk-Off Win - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Faedo Strong Again But 'Wolves Can't Hold Late Lead - Erie SeaWolves
- Baysox Shut out in Home Opener, 2-0 - Bowie Baysox
- Fedde, Mills and Barrett Combine to No-Hit Bowie in 2-0 Win - Harrisburg Senators
- Erie SeaWolves at Binghamton Rumble Ponies - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes Game #5 - Rumble Ponies (2-2) vs. SeaWolves (4-2) - 6:35 PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.