Flores Strong in 3-0 Win Over Shreveport
Pedro Flores went six and two thirds innings and struck out eight as the Coastal Bend Aviators won their second straight over the Shreveport Sports 3-0. It was the fifth win in the last six games for the Aviators who are trying to climb back into the race for the second half title in the American Association's South Division. Friday's win coupled with Fort Worth's 2-1 extra inning loss draws the Aviators within six games of first.
Flores had control problem early. He allowed two walks and a single to the first three batters of the game to load the bases, before striking out 3 consecutive men to end the inning. He finished the game having surrendered just three hits on the night. In the bottom of the first the Aviators offense did something it has rarely done for Flores this year; score first. Bryon Smith took Shreveport starter Bert Snow deep to left to open the scoring before Coastal Bend put another run on the board in the second by drawing three walks to help force a run across. Smith's homer was his eighth of the year which now leads the team.
Leading 2-0 in the fourth, Aviators second baseman Will Lewis continued his hot hitting with an RBI double to left which scored Phillip Grau for the 3-0 margin of victory. Lewis finished 2 for 4 on the night. Flores set down five more men on strikeouts before Tim Haines came on to finish the seventh inning. Brian Martin worked a scoreless eighth and Tom Atlee closed it out for his 15th save with a scoreless ninth in which no Sports batter reached base.
Flores' record improves to 4-6 on the season. Snow falls to 4-6. Game three of the series is tomorrow night at 7:05 and can be heard locally on KOPY 92.1 FM or online.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 3, 2007
- Flores Strong in 3-0 Win Over Shreveport - Coastal Bend Aviators
- American Association Recap - AA
- Cheppenko, Homers Lift Birds past Saints - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Offense Struggles as Saints Lose - St. Paul Saints
- Explorers Take Opener from Diablos, 6-2 - El Paso Diablos
- St. Paul Saints and Ownership Group Helps in Campaign to Honor Professional Scouts - St. Paul Saints
- Team Card Set Giveaway Tonight at 5:35 - Pensacola Pelicans
- Tryouts for Pensacola Pelicans Fall Showcase Team This Weekend - Pensacola Pelicans
- Aviators Win on Walkoff by Lewis - Coastal Bend Aviators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.