Five-Run 3rd Keys Claws 4th Straight Win
LAKEWOOD, NJ - Daniel Brito homered and finished a triple shy of the cycle while Ramon Rosso threw six scoreless innings to lead the BlueClaws to their Minor League Baseball-leading 13th shutout of the season in a 5-0 win over Hagerstown on Tuesday.
The BlueClaws have now won four straight games but dropped a half-game in the standings as first-place Kannapolis swept a double-header from Delmarva. Lakewood (38-26) is 2.0 games out with five left to play (Kannapolis has six).
All the scoring came in the third inning tonight. After Kevin Markham was hit by a pitch, Nick Maton hit a two-run home run onto the grass berm in right to put the BlueClaws up 2-0. It was Maton's fifth of the season and his second straight game with a home run.
Jhailyn Ortiz followed Maton and got hit by a 3-2 pitch. After moving up on a groundout, he was driven in on an RBI single from Quincy Nieporte that gave the BlueClaws a 3-0 lead.
Daniel Brito, who struck out in his last at bat when he needed a triple for the cycle, then dropped his third home run of the season onto the grass berm in right field to put Lakewood up 5-0.
Lakewood starter Ramon Rosso (4-1) threw six scoreless innings to lower his ERA to 1.46, third best in the league this year. Lakewood has the top three in the league in ERA, with Rosso joining Will Stewart (1.25) and league leader David Parkinson (1.21).
Suns starter Seth Romero (0-1) took the loss, allowing five runs in three innings of work.
Jonathan Hennigan got the last nine outs for his first save of the year.
The BlueClaws have now allowed three runs or less in 40 of their 64 games this season and lead the minors with a team ERA of just 2.55.
The teams continue their series on Wednesday night at 7:05 pm. LHP Will Stewart (5-0) starts for Lakewood opposite LHP Nick Raquet (4-5) in a matchup of South Atlantic League All-Stars.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 12, 2018
- Braves Cruise Past Drive on Tuesday Night - Greenville Drive
- Early Offense Carries Power to 7-5 Win - West Virginia Power
- Seventh-Inning Rally Falls Short in Game 2 - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Beggs Fans 10 as Errors Cost Hoppers - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- GreenJackets Drop Game 2 - Augusta GreenJackets
- RiverDogs Stymied by Tourists on Tuesday - Charleston RiverDogs
- Gaddis and Company Shut Down the RiverDogs - Asheville Tourists
- Suns Shutout 5-0 by BlueClaws on Tuesday - Hagerstown Suns
- 'Birds Drop Two in K-Town - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Five-Run 3rd Keys Claws 4th Straight Win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- No Stranger to the Rain; Legends Win Second Shortened Game over Fireflies 2-1 - Lexington Legends
- Rain Prevents Columbia's Comeback Bid for Second Straight Night - Columbia Fireflies
- Suns, Shorebirds Introduce Governor's Cup - Hagerstown Suns
- Fireflies Game Notes: June 12 at Lexington (Game 62) - Columbia Fireflies
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (June 12) - West Virginia Power
- Preview: Doubleheader Deluge Begins - Greensboro Grasshoppers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lakewood BlueClaws Stories
- BlueClaws Charities Announces 2018 Grant Recipients
- Claws Fall 2-1 as Legends Take SAL Title
- Claws Fall 6-3 on Thursday as Legends Take 2-1 Series Lead
- Claws Fall 5-2; Legends Level Series at 1-1
- Comeback Claws Come from Five Down in Ninth, Win Game One 6-5 at Lexington