Five Mammoth To All-Star Game, Murray A Starter
DENVER - The Colorado Mammoth announced today that five members of the team have been voted to the West Division's 2009 NLL All-Star team. Defenseman Bruce Murray has been selected as a starter for the West, while Brian Langtry, team captain Gavin Prout, Nick Carlson and goalie Andrew Leyshon will be reserves in the March 7 game at Pepsi Center.
It's the second All-Star selection for Murray, who anchors a Mammoth defense that has allowed second fewest goals in West Division (63) so far this season. The 6'1", 260 lb. firefighter from Coquitlam, British Columbia, has quickly become a fan-favorite in Denver over the last two seasons.
Forwards Brian Langtry and Gavin Prout will represent a Colorado offense that struggled early in the season, but has turned things around over the last few weeks - winning three straight games and averaging almost 13 goals per game in the process. It's the first All-Star appearance for Langtry, whose 27 points (13 goals, 14 assists) leads the Mammoth offense through six games this season. His 13 goals rank him 12th in the league.
For Prout, Colorado's all-time scoring leader, this will mark his seventh trip to the showcase game. An All-Star in each of his six seasons with the Mammoth, Prout's 16 assists is a team high, while his 10 goals are second only to Langtry. The 26 points is good for second on the squad overall.
Transition player, Nick Carlson, makes his second trip to All-Star Weekend. The 6'0", 205 lb. Carlson has notched a goal and seven assists for Colorado though six games. The Nanaimo, British Columbia native has also hustled to 30 loose balls for the 4-2 Mammoth.
After stepping in for All-Star goalie Gee Nash early in the season, Andrew Leyshon has earned his first spot on the West Team. He's sported a 3-1 record in net for the Mammoth during his stretch that has led to a dramatic team turnaround. Leyshon has tallied 148 saves in the young season and his 9.24 goals against average is good for fourth in the league overall. With a save percentage of .791, Leyshon has provided his team a chance to win each night out.
The Mammoth is on the road this weekend - at San Jose on Saturday, February 21st and at Edmonton on Sunday, February 22nd - before returning to host All-Star Weekend - March 6th and 7th at Pepsi Center. For more information on the All-Star Weekend, including a schedule of events, ticket information, Hall of Fame luncheon and more, please visit ColoradoMammoth.com.
The next home game for Colorado is Sunday, March 22 when the Minnesota Swarm visits Pepsi Center for a 6pm contest. Tickets for all Mammoth home games are on sale now at the Pepsi Center box office, all Ticketmaster retail centers, online at Ticketmaster.com and by phone at 303.830.TIXS or 719.520.9090.
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from February 19, 2009
- Toronto Rock Veteran Dan Ladouceur Retires - Toronto Rock
- Five Mammoth To All-Star Game, Murray A Starter - Colorado Mammoth
- Knighthawks Acquire 2008 NLL Rookie of the Year Craig Point - Rochester Knighthawks
- Teat and Hawksbee Named to 2009 Western Division All-Star Roster - Edmonton Rush
- Tavares and Vyse Named All-Star Reserves - Buffalo Bandits
- Toronto Rock's Crosbie and Woods Named to East All-Star Team - Toronto Rock
- Minnesota Swarm Acquires F Aaron Wilson from Rochester - Minnesota Swarm
- Three to Join Sanderson at All-Star Game - Calgary Roughnecks
- Boston Blazers Travel West for Weekend Road Matchups - Boston Blazers
- Knighthawks Williams And Gait Named To All-Star Game - Rochester Knighthawks
- Peter Morgan Added; Dallas Eliuk To Coach All-Star Team - Portland Lumberjax
- National Lacrosse League All-Star Game reserves announced - NLL
- Springfield, PA Native Selected to Represent Wings in NLL All-Star Game - Philadelphia Wings
- Bandits Announce Third Jersey Schedule - Buffalo Bandits
- Minnesota Swarm Game at San Jose Moved - Minnesota Swarm
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Mammoth Stories
- Colorado Mammoth Q & A: Brad Self
- Stan and Josh Kroenke Announce Creation of COVID Relief Fund
- Altitude Sports and KSE to Debut 'Sports Social' Show with Exclusive Gabe Landeskog and Tim Connelly Interviews
- Altitude TV to Broadcast Classic Mammoth Games Beginning April 4
- KSE Statement & Update on COVID-19