Springfield, PA Native Selected to Represent Wings in NLL All-Star Game
Philadelphia Wings defender and Springfield, PA native Kyle Sweeney was selected to the 2009 NLL East Division All-Star Team. Sweeney, a first time All-Star in a five year career, will join fellow Wings teammate Geoff Snider who will represent Philadelphia as a starter in the game that will be played in Denver on Saturday, March 7.
"It's an honor to be selected to be a team that allows you to play with such great players," said Sweeney. "There are plenty of deserving players on our team and we have several defensemen who I view as some of the best in the league. It is a shame for them to be slighted, but I will do my best to represent the Wings for all my teammates."
The 2009 NLL All-Star Game will be held in Denver at the Pepsi Center on Saturday, March 7 starting at 9 p.m. ET. Fans can follow the entire weekend on the NLL Network starting Friday, March 6 at 10 p.m. ET for the NLL Skills Competition. The East and West Division All-Stars will then do battle on Saturday, March 7 starting at 9 p.m. ET. As a special feature to this year's game the 2009 Hall of Fame inductees will be coaching each of the teams. Wings great Dallas Eliuk will lead the Western Division All-Stars and Jim Veltman will be on the bench for the East Division All-Stars.
Sweeney currently leads all NLL defensemen in scoring with 12 points (5G 7A) in seven games played. He has also picked up 64 loose balls which puts him in the top 10 in the league and top five among NLL defensemen. Sweeney was originally drafted by the Wings in the eighth round (83 overall) in the 2004 Entry Draft out of Georgetown University where he was a three time All-American.. He played his high school lacrosse at Springfield High School where he garnered All-American honors.
The Wings will play their next game on Saturday, February 21 at 7:30 p.m. when they take on the Minnesota Swarm at the Wachovia Center. Guarantee great seats for this Friday's game and the rest of 2009 by reserving your season tickets now! Season Tickets are on-sale with Lower Level seats starting at just $21 per game. To purchase tickets or receive more information call (215) 389-WING (9464) or visit WingsLAX.com.
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from February 19, 2009
- Toronto Rock Veteran Dan Ladouceur Retires - Toronto Rock
- Five Mammoth To All-Star Game, Murray A Starter - Colorado Mammoth
- Knighthawks Acquire 2008 NLL Rookie of the Year Craig Point - Rochester Knighthawks
- Teat and Hawksbee Named to 2009 Western Division All-Star Roster - Edmonton Rush
- Tavares and Vyse Named All-Star Reserves - Buffalo Bandits
- Toronto Rock's Crosbie and Woods Named to East All-Star Team - Toronto Rock
- Minnesota Swarm Acquires F Aaron Wilson from Rochester - Minnesota Swarm
- Three to Join Sanderson at All-Star Game - Calgary Roughnecks
- Boston Blazers Travel West for Weekend Road Matchups - Boston Blazers
- Knighthawks Williams And Gait Named To All-Star Game - Rochester Knighthawks
- Peter Morgan Added; Dallas Eliuk To Coach All-Star Team - Portland Lumberjax
- National Lacrosse League All-Star Game reserves announced - NLL
- Springfield, PA Native Selected to Represent Wings in NLL All-Star Game - Philadelphia Wings
- Bandits Announce Third Jersey Schedule - Buffalo Bandits
- Minnesota Swarm Game at San Jose Moved - Minnesota Swarm
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Wings Stories
- Wings to Re-Locate Franchise
- Wings Player Garret Thul Named to United States Men's National Lacrosse Team
- Wings Second All-Time Leading Scorer Bergey Named to NLL Hall of Fame Ballot
- Philadelphia Wings Brodie Merrill Voted Finalist for Transition Player of the Year
- Three Philadelphia Wings Players Named to Canadian National Lacrosse Team