Knighthawks Williams And Gait Named To All-Star Game
(Rochester, NY)... Rochester Knighthawks forwards Shawn Williams and Gary Gait were named to the National Lacrosse League Eastern Division All-Star team today. The Knighthawks will represent the team at the 2009 All-Star Game, which will be played at Pepsi Center in Denver on Saturday, March 7th. The All-Star Weekend begins with the Skills Competition on Friday, March 6th.
Williams heads to his sixth All-Star Game (2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009). The Scarborough, Ontario, native leads Rochester with 32 points (8+24) and is 11th in the league in that offensive category. After recording four points last Sunday at New York, he stands just six points away from 600 in a Rochester uniform. Last year, he scored the overtime game-winner to give the East All-Stars a 17-16 win over the West. Williams is a two-time NLL All-Pro and has won two NLL titles (1999 and 2007).
Gait was named to his sixth All-Star Game (1991, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2005 and 2009). He was the MVP of the first All-Star game in 1991. The 41-year-old Gait leads the Knighthawks with 13 goals and is second with 19 points. The Victoria, BC, native returned to the game this season after retiring from the NLL in 2005 after playing 15 seasons. He is a six-time league MVP and was an All-Pro every season. He also won three league championships, leading the Detroit Turbos to the title in 1991 and the Philadelphia Wings to consecutive titles in 1994 and 1995. In 2006, he was selected as one of five charter members of the league's Hall of Fame. Gait ranks second in league history in goals (609), fourth in assists (501) and second in points (1,110). Last Sunday at New York, he became only the fourth player in league history to reach the 500 assist mark.
This weekend, Rochester will host the New York Titans on Saturday, February 21st at 7:35 p.m. at The Blue Cross Arena. That night one randomly selected fan will have the chance to shoot for a house. The fan will have to sink three of four shots, on the fly, from the far end of the field (some restrictions apply). The game will be broadcast live on WYSL 1040-AM and wysl1040.com. Fans can watch the game live online via the NLL Network at NLL.com and on knighthawks.net.
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from February 19, 2009
- Toronto Rock Veteran Dan Ladouceur Retires - Toronto Rock
- Five Mammoth To All-Star Game, Murray A Starter - Colorado Mammoth
- Knighthawks Acquire 2008 NLL Rookie of the Year Craig Point - Rochester Knighthawks
- Teat and Hawksbee Named to 2009 Western Division All-Star Roster - Edmonton Rush
- Tavares and Vyse Named All-Star Reserves - Buffalo Bandits
- Toronto Rock's Crosbie and Woods Named to East All-Star Team - Toronto Rock
- Minnesota Swarm Acquires F Aaron Wilson from Rochester - Minnesota Swarm
- Three to Join Sanderson at All-Star Game - Calgary Roughnecks
- Boston Blazers Travel West for Weekend Road Matchups - Boston Blazers
- Knighthawks Williams And Gait Named To All-Star Game - Rochester Knighthawks
- Peter Morgan Added; Dallas Eliuk To Coach All-Star Team - Portland Lumberjax
- National Lacrosse League All-Star Game reserves announced - NLL
- Springfield, PA Native Selected to Represent Wings in NLL All-Star Game - Philadelphia Wings
- Bandits Announce Third Jersey Schedule - Buffalo Bandits
- Minnesota Swarm Game at San Jose Moved - Minnesota Swarm
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rochester Knighthawks Stories
- 2019 NLL Entry Draft Set for Tonight at Xfinity Live in Philadelphia
- Knighthawks Announce 2019-20 Schedule
- NLL Announces Division Alignment, Schedule and Playoff Format for 2019-20 Season
- Knighthawks Renew Partnership with Roots Box Lacrosse for Return of Youth League
- Jr. Knighthawks Set to Face-Off against Jr. Bandits in Inaugural I-90 Cup Rivalry Series