Fireflies Game Notes: May 14 vs. Delmarva (Game 37)
Columbia Fireflies (19-17) vs. Delmarva Shorebirds (24-12)
LHP David Peterson (1-0, 2.28) vs. RHP Michael Baumann (4-0, 1.74)
Mon., May 14, 2018 - Spirit Communications Park - First Pitch 7:05 p.m. - Game 37
LISTEN: Fox Sports Radio 1400 AM / ColumbiaFireflies.com / iHeartRadio App
MOTHER'S DAY MAGIC: The Fireflies trailed 4-3 in the bottom of the 10th and rallied for a walk-off victory, 5-4, on Sunday afternoon at Spirit Communications Park. Raphael Gladu started the 10th at second base, per the new minor league rules, and then Hansel Moreno walked. Jay Jabs dropped a bunt down the third-base line and both runners scored on a throwing error from Delmarva's third baseman Trevor Craport.
MORE ON LAST GAME: Columbia and Delmarva were scoreless through the first six innings on Sunday.
- Yeizo Campos tossed four innings in his first start as a Firefly. The righty struck out four of the final six batters he faced.
- Taylor Henry was magnificent in his return to The Midlands. The southpaw threw three scoreless innings out of the bullpen. The 24-year-old appeared in 39 games for Columbia in 2017.
THE BRO-WONDER: Columbia centerfielder Quinn Brodey is second in league with 27 RBIs and third with 17 extra-base hits (9 doubles, 3 triples, 5 home runs). The former Stanford Cardinal product has also scored a run in 10 straight games. The record for most consecutive games scoring a run is 14, according to the SAL Media Guide.
THE NEW STREAK: Catcher Scott Manea collected three more hits on Saturday. The Massachusetts native has reached safely in 16 straight games and owns a team-best .484 on-base percentage this season. His on-base percentage during the streak is an astronomical .532 (that includes 15 hits, 11 walks and 7 HBPs).
TAKE NOTE: Raphael Gladu is also on an impressive 10-game on-base streak and has hit safely in his last five contests.
UP THE FARM: Binghamton's Jeff McNeil hit for the cycle on Sunday, becoming just the second player in franchise history to accomplish this feat. This lifted the Rumble Ponies (Double-A) to a 10-4 win over the Sea Dogs. The Fireflies still haven't seen a player complete the cycle. Recently, Jeremy Vasquez came close with a single, double, and home run on May 6, 2018.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from May 14, 2018
- Legends Come up Short in Tough Loss to Drive - Lexington Legends
- Drive Outslug Legends 13-12 on Monday - Greenville Drive
- Hock Fans 5 over 2.0 Relief Innings - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- I's Score Two in the Ninth to Steal Game 3 from Tourists - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Castro's Homer Lifts Power to Doubleheader Split - West Virginia Power
- Tourists Let One Slip Away Late - Asheville Tourists
- Pitching Leads the Way - Augusta GreenJackets
- BlueClaws, Power Split Monday Pair - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Baumann, Muckenhirn Toss Two-Hit Shutout - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Powerful Peterson Perplexes Hitters But Pesky Shorebirds Prevail - Columbia Fireflies
- Dogs Rained out in Hagerstown, Will Play Doubleheader Tomorrow Morning at 10am - Charleston RiverDogs
- Logan Baldwin Named SAL Player of the Week - Augusta GreenJackets
- Whitlock Promoted as RiverDogs Are Reinforced with Two New Arms on Staff - Charleston RiverDogs
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (May 14) - West Virginia Power
- Fireflies Game Notes: May 14 vs. Delmarva (Game 37) - Columbia Fireflies
- 'Cam's Clubhouse' Selected as MiLBs' April Promotion of the Month - Kannapolis Intimidators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.