Fireflies Game Notes: May 14 vs. Delmarva (Game 37)
Columbia Fireflies (19-17) vs. Delmarva Shorebirds (24-12)
LHP David Peterson (1-0, 2.28) vs. RHP Michael Baumann (4-0, 1.74)
Mon., May 14, 2018 - Spirit Communications Park - First Pitch 7:05 p.m. - Game 37
LISTEN: Fox Sports Radio 1400 AM / ColumbiaFireflies.com / iHeartRadio App
MOTHER'S DAY MAGIC: The Fireflies trailed 4-3 in the bottom of the 10th and rallied for a walk-off victory, 5-4, on Sunday afternoon at Spirit Communications Park. Raphael Gladu started the 10th at second base, per the new minor league rules, and then Hansel Moreno walked. Jay Jabs dropped a bunt down the third-base line and both runners scored on a throwing error from Delmarva's third baseman Trevor Craport.
MORE ON LAST GAME: Columbia and Delmarva were scoreless through the first six innings on Sunday.
- Yeizo Campos tossed four innings in his first start as a Firefly. The righty struck out four of the final six batters he faced.
- Taylor Henry was magnificent in his return to The Midlands. The southpaw threw three scoreless innings out of the bullpen. The 24-year-old appeared in 39 games for Columbia in 2017.
THE BRO-WONDER: Columbia centerfielder Quinn Brodey is second in league with 27 RBIs and third with 17 extra-base hits (9 doubles, 3 triples, 5 home runs). The former Stanford Cardinal product has also scored a run in 10 straight games. The record for most consecutive games scoring a run is 14, according to the SAL Media Guide.
THE NEW STREAK: Catcher Scott Manea collected three more hits on Saturday. The Massachusetts native has reached safely in 16 straight games and owns a team-best .484 on-base percentage this season. His on-base percentage during the streak is an astronomical .532 (that includes 15 hits, 11 walks and 7 HBPs).
TAKE NOTE: Raphael Gladu is also on an impressive 10-game on-base streak and has hit safely in his last five contests.
UP THE FARM: Binghamton's Jeff McNeil hit for the cycle on Sunday, becoming just the second player in franchise history to accomplish this feat. This lifted the Rumble Ponies (Double-A) to a 10-4 win over the Sea Dogs. The Fireflies still haven't seen a player complete the cycle. Recently, Jeremy Vasquez came close with a single, double, and home run on May 6, 2018.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from May 14, 2018
- Legends Come up Short in Tough Loss to Drive - Lexington Legends
- Drive Outslug Legends 13-12 on Monday - Greenville Drive
- Hock Fans 5 over 2.0 Relief Innings - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- I's Score Two in the Ninth to Steal Game 3 from Tourists - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Castro's Homer Lifts Power to Doubleheader Split - West Virginia Power
- Tourists Let One Slip Away Late - Asheville Tourists
- Pitching Leads the Way - Augusta GreenJackets
- BlueClaws, Power Split Monday Pair - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Baumann, Muckenhirn Toss Two-Hit Shutout - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Powerful Peterson Perplexes Hitters But Pesky Shorebirds Prevail - Columbia Fireflies
- Dogs Rained out in Hagerstown, Will Play Doubleheader Tomorrow Morning at 10am - Charleston RiverDogs
- Logan Baldwin Named SAL Player of the Week - Augusta GreenJackets
- Whitlock Promoted as RiverDogs Are Reinforced with Two New Arms on Staff - Charleston RiverDogs
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (May 14) - West Virginia Power
- Fireflies Game Notes: May 14 vs. Delmarva (Game 37) - Columbia Fireflies
- 'Cam's Clubhouse' Selected as MiLBs' April Promotion of the Month - Kannapolis Intimidators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbia Fireflies Stories
- Mason in Search of Friend to Go Trick-Or-Treating With
- 2018 Fireflies Season Recap
- College of Charleston to Host Clemson at Spirit Communications Park on March 20, 2019
- Minor League Baseball's "Copa De La Diversion" Hispanic Fan Engagement Initiative Expands to 72 Teams for 2019
- Pints at the Park 2.0 Returns to Spirit Communications Park on Friday, October 19