Fireflies Game Notes: July 13 vs. Charleston (Game 89)
Columbia Fireflies (11-11, 35-53) vs. Charleston RiverDogs (10-12, 47-45)
RHP Jose Butto (3-7, 3.83) vs. RHP Alexander Vizcaino (4-4, 4.32)
Sat., July 13, 2019 - Segra Park (Columbia, SC) - First Pitch 6:05 p.m. - Game 89
LISTEN: FirefliesLiveStream.com / ColumbiaFireflies.com / TuneIn App
Vientos' three hits on the night. He and Hansel Moreno (July 28, 2018 @ Augusta, SRP Park) are the only two Fireflies to hit inside the park home runs in franchise history.
OUT OF THIS WORLD: Mets prospect Shervyen Newton went 2-for-5 at the plate on Friday and stretched his hit streak to six games in a row. This isn't your average hit streak. Newton has now notched six straight multi-hit games. The native of Curacao is raking - Newton's hitting .519 (14-for-27) over those last six games with 3 2Bs, 1 HR and 6 RBI.
HIM, TOO: Newton now passes teammate Hayden Senger who posted five straight multi-hit games (in five days, no less) from June 22-26. Senger is currently hitting at a Ruth'ian clip, though. The catcher is on a season-best 10-game hit streak and leads the South Atlantic League in hitting post all-star break with a .456 average (19 GP).
AND THAT'S NOT ALL: Senger has hit safely in 17 of the 19 games he's played in in the second half and reached safely in 18. The catcher was batting .180 at the all-star break (40 GP) and his average now sits at .277 - that's an astonishing near-100 point raise of his average over just 19 games.
ROARING OFFENSE: Columbia is now hitting .277 as a team since the all-star break (22 GP). That's the highest second-half batting average in the SAL:
1. Columbia, .277 ... 2. Kannapolis, .268 ... 3. Hickory, .258
TONIGHT'S MATCHUP: Saturday's game features another strong pitching matchup. Jose Butto looks to continue his winning ways on the mound. The right-hander has the third-lowest ERA (2.23, 7 GP) in the SAL since May 28. On the other hand Alexander Vizcaino toes the rubber for Charleston. The RiverDogs righty bested the Fireflies on April 28. Vizcaino heaved seven shut-out innings and allowed just two hits in a win at Joe Riley Park.
SECOND-HALF SLUGGERS: Columbia's offense has totally ignited in the second half. Here are the top hitters by batting average:
1. Hayden Senger - .456 (31-for-68), 19 GP, 7 R, 9 2B, 3 HR, 17 RBI, 4 BB, 6 K
2. Mark Vientos - .329 (24-for-73) 19 GP, 13 R, 7 2B, 3 HR, 19 RBI
3. Wagner Lagrange - .317 (26-for-82), 21 GP, 15 R, 7 2B, 1 3B, 2 HR, 16 RBI
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 13, 2019
- 'Birds K.O. 'Dads on Ferguson's Walkoff - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Power Outlasts Grasshoppers in 10-8 Slugfest - West Virginia Power
- Layer Leads Offense to 6-4 Victory - Augusta GreenJackets
- Legends Yield to Drive in Extra Innings Loss - Lexington Legends
- Augusta's Closer, Tona, Closes out Tourists Again - Asheville Tourists
- Suns Clinch Series Win over BlueClaws - Hagerstown Suns
- Suns Blank Claws 2-0 on Saturday Night - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Escobar Makes MLB Debut with Pirates Saturday in Chicago - West Virginia Power
- RiverDogs and Fireflies Postponed Saturday Night - Charleston RiverDogs
- Saturday's Game against Charleston Postponed Due to Inclement Weather - Columbia Fireflies
- Fireflies Game Notes: July 13 vs. Charleston (Game 89) - Columbia Fireflies
- Game Notes (July 13) - West Virginia Power
- Intimidators Outlast Braves 6-3 in Series Opener - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbia Fireflies Stories
- Fireflies Invited to Become Kansas City Royals' Affiliate
- Fireflies to Host Holiday Themed Virtual 5K; Mason's Jingle Jog
- "Elf" Screening to Play at Segra Park December 4
- Columbia Fireflies Issue Statement on Affiliation Change
- SNL Star, Actor Rob Schneider to Perform at Segra Park