Legends Yield to Drive in Extra Innings Loss
WHITAKER BANK BALLPARK (Lexington, KY) - The Lexington Legends fell in extras to the Greenville Drive, 6-2. Despite tying the game, 2-2 in the bottom of the ninth inning, Greenville plated four in the top of the tenth to secure the victory.
Scoreless through four inning, Cole Cottam blasted a leadoff home run to right field and the Drive led, 1-0.
In the top of the seventh inning, Tyler Esplin lined a leadoff single to right field then scored on an RBI hit to left field, extending the Drive's lead 2-0.
The Legends plated their first run of the game in the bottom of the eighth inning. John Rave drew a leadoff walk then moved to second base on a sacrifice bunt by Rubendy Jaquez. Freddy Fermin then singled home Rave and Lexington was on the board, 2-1.
Lexington tied the game in the bottom of the ninth inning. With two outs, Brhet Bewley smacked a single to left field then moved to second when Jackson Lueck drew a walk. Rave singled home Bewley and the game was tied, 2-2.
In the top of the tenth inning, Triston Casas was placed at second base as the Pace of Play Runner. Cole Cottam then hit a single to right field and Jordan Wren drew a walk to load the bases. Kyle Hinton then walked Tyler Dearden, scoring Casas. With the bases still loaded, Everlouis Lozada sent a sacrifice fly to left field then Williams brought home Dearden with a single to right field. The Legends fell in 10 innings, 6-2.
Logan Browning was awarded the victory tossing 1.2 innings allowing one run on three hits while walking one and striking out one. Kyle Hinton was given the loss, pitching 2.0 innings allowing four runs (three earned) on four hits while walking three and striking out three.
The Legends and Drive meet for the series finale tomorrow at 2pm. Gates open at 12:30pm for Family Playtime on the Outfield and kids 12 and under get in free!
The Legends, a Class A affiliate of the Kansas City Royals and member of the South Atlantic League, play all home games at Whitaker Bank Ballpark in Lexington, Kentucky. For ticket information, call (859) 422-7867 or visit LexingtonLegends.com.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 13, 2019
- 'Birds K.O. 'Dads on Ferguson's Walkoff - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Power Outlasts Grasshoppers in 10-8 Slugfest - West Virginia Power
- Layer Leads Offense to 6-4 Victory - Augusta GreenJackets
- Legends Yield to Drive in Extra Innings Loss - Lexington Legends
- Augusta's Closer, Tona, Closes out Tourists Again - Asheville Tourists
- Suns Clinch Series Win over BlueClaws - Hagerstown Suns
- Suns Blank Claws 2-0 on Saturday Night - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Escobar Makes MLB Debut with Pirates Saturday in Chicago - West Virginia Power
- RiverDogs and Fireflies Postponed Saturday Night - Charleston RiverDogs
- Saturday's Game against Charleston Postponed Due to Inclement Weather - Columbia Fireflies
- Fireflies Game Notes: July 13 vs. Charleston (Game 89) - Columbia Fireflies
- Game Notes (July 13) - West Virginia Power
- Intimidators Outlast Braves 6-3 in Series Opener - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lexington Legends Stories
- Lexington Legends Announce Postseason Activities
- Lexington Adds MLB Veteran Eric Young Jr., Cole Sturgeon, Chris Proctor
- Legends Add Former Cincinnati Red Ivan De Jesus Jr.
- Phillips Brothers Join the Lexington Legends
- Commonwealth of Kentucky Shines as Lexington Releases Rosters for Battle of the Bourbon Trail