Fireflies Game Notes: August 11 vs. Delmarva (Game 114)
Columbia Fireflies (18-28, 52-61) vs. Delmarva Shorebirds (23-23, 58-55)
RHP Luc Rennie (2-1, 1.93) vs. LHP Cameron Bishop (8-5, 2.90)
Sat., August 11, 2018 - Spirit Communications Park - First Pitch 6:05 p.m. - Game 114
LISTEN: Fox Sports Radio 1400 AM / ColumbiaFireflies.com / iHeartRadio App
ABOUT LAST GAME: There were plenty of big hits and dramatic blasts on Friday night in Columbia, but Delmarva came away with a 9-7 series-opening victory. Both Matt Winaker and Zach Rheams went yard, their ninth and third homers of the year, respectively. Hansel Moreno also smashed a bases-clearing double in the fifth inning.
GOODBYE!: Matt Winaker's blast on Friday was his team-best ninth of the season. Winaker also leads the current roster of Fireflies with 48 RBIs.
CONSISTENCY: Since June 8, Hansel Moreno has hit .281 in 44 games-that's the best batting average for any current Firefly over that span.
STREAKIN': Winaker extended his on-base streak to 21 straight games with that home run on Friday. The 22-year-old has hit .307 since July 19 (when the streak began) with 13 extra-base hits and 12 RBI.
STREAKIN' Pt. II: Winaker joins a lengthy list of Fireflies who have posted on-base streaks of 15 games or longer this season:
LONGEST ON-BASE STREAKS, 2018 FIREFLIES:
1. Jeremy Vasquez, 29* April 5-May 6
2. Raphael Gladu, 28 May 2-June 9
3. Matt Winaker, 21 July 19-pres
4. Blake Tiberi, 17 June 13-July 6
5. Scott Manea, 16 April 21-May 12
*franchise and 2018 SAL record
THRILLERS: Columbia and Delmarva played in quite the intense series the last time the two teams met in May. The Fireflies walked off twice against the Orioles Low-A affiliate in that series
- May 13: Down 4-3 in the 10th, Jay Jabs dropped a bunt down the third-base line and two runs scored on a throwing error from third baseman Trevor Craport.
- May 15: Down 8-6 in the 10th, the Fireflies scored three runs in the bottom of the frame. Scott Manea was hit by pitch with the bases loaded and Hansel Moreno scored the game-winning run.
SWING AND A MISS: Columbia pitchers fanned nine more batters on Friday. The Fireflies pitching staff has struck out 1,060 hitters this season, second only to Lakewood (1,079) in the South Atlantic League.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 11, 2018
- Rivera, Soto Homer in Loss to Tourists - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Crawdads Even Series with 2-1 Win - Hickory Crawdads
- Bullpen Lights out in Wire to Wire Victory - Asheville Tourists
- GreenJackets Bounce Back in Game Two - Augusta GreenJackets
- Charleston Relinquishes Two Leads in Defeat to Suns - Charleston RiverDogs
- Crawdads Top Claws with Two Late Runs on Saturday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- GreenJackets Defeat Drive 3-1 on Saturday - Greenville Drive
- 'Birds Win It Wire-To-Wire in Columbia - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Miranda Reaches Base Four Times on Saturday Night - Columbia Fireflies
- Stafford's Six RBI, Stratton's Strong Start Headline 8-2 Win - West Virginia Power
- West Virginia Tops Rome 8-2 Saturday - Rome Braves
- Lexington and Kannapolis Ready to Play, But Mother Nature Says 'No Way' - Lexington Legends
- Atlanta Braves Pitcher Sam Freeman in Rome on Sunday - Rome Braves
- Preview: Young Guns Bringing the Bats - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 11 vs. Delmarva (Game 114) - Columbia Fireflies
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (august 11) - West Virginia Power
- Scudder's Three Hit, Two RBI Night Not Enough in Suns Loss - Hagerstown Suns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbia Fireflies Stories
- Vientos Stretches Hit Streak to 11 on Saturday in Charleston
- Fireflies Game Notes: May 25 at Charleston (Game 49)
- Fireflies Slam Three Homers, Finish up Series with a Win
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: May 24 vs. Greenville (Game 48)
- Vientos Extends Hit Streak in Thursday Night Loss