Crawdads Top Claws with Two Late Runs on Saturday
HICKORY, NC - Tyreque Reed's RBI double in the bottom of the eighth inning broke a 1-1 tie and gave Hickory a 2-1 win over the BlueClaws on Saturday night at LP Frans Stadium.
The teams have now split the first two games of their four-game series and Hickory (30-19/60-57) pulls to within 2.5 games of the first place BlueClaws (32-16/73-44). The teams have two more games in this series and four more in Hickory beginning August 23rd among 21 games left in the season.
Reed's double came off Luis Carrasco in the eighth and drove in Yonny Hernandez, who led off the inning with a walk. The Crawdads tied the game in the seventh on a two-out RBI single from Justin Jacobs, also off Carrasco, who fell to 4-1 on the year.
Jean Casanova (4-2) threw two scoreless innings to earn the win while Demarcus Evans struck out all three he faced in the ninth to earn his seventh save.
The BlueClaws opened the scoring in the fifth inning when Colby Fitch came home on a groundout by Gregori Rivero. Fitch led off the inning with a single, advanced to second on a wild pitch, to third on a groundout by Madison Stokes, and scored on Rivero's groundout to put Lakewood up 1-0.
Lakewood starter Andrew Brown, who walked a season high four hitters, battled through six scoreless innings. The right-hander induced two double-play groundballs and lowered his ERA to 1.80 over 11 appearances with Lakewood.
Hickory starter Hans Crouse, making his South Atlantic League debut, gave up one run over six innings on just three hits and did not factor in the decision.
The teams continue their series on Sunday at 5:05 pm. RHP Julian Garcia (5-2) starts for the BlueClaws opposite RHP Noah Bremer (5-4).
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 11, 2018
- Rivera, Soto Homer in Loss to Tourists - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Crawdads Even Series with 2-1 Win - Hickory Crawdads
- Bullpen Lights out in Wire to Wire Victory - Asheville Tourists
- GreenJackets Bounce Back in Game Two - Augusta GreenJackets
- Charleston Relinquishes Two Leads in Defeat to Suns - Charleston RiverDogs
- Crawdads Top Claws with Two Late Runs on Saturday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- GreenJackets Defeat Drive 3-1 on Saturday - Greenville Drive
- 'Birds Win It Wire-To-Wire in Columbia - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Miranda Reaches Base Four Times on Saturday Night - Columbia Fireflies
- Stafford's Six RBI, Stratton's Strong Start Headline 8-2 Win - West Virginia Power
- West Virginia Tops Rome 8-2 Saturday - Rome Braves
- Lexington and Kannapolis Ready to Play, But Mother Nature Says 'No Way' - Lexington Legends
- Atlanta Braves Pitcher Sam Freeman in Rome on Sunday - Rome Braves
- Preview: Young Guns Bringing the Bats - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 11 vs. Delmarva (Game 114) - Columbia Fireflies
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (august 11) - West Virginia Power
- Scudder's Three Hit, Two RBI Night Not Enough in Suns Loss - Hagerstown Suns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lakewood BlueClaws Stories
- Garcia Fans 11 But Claws Drop Opener to Lexington
- Balanced Attack Gives BlueClaws Fifth Straight Win as Claws Topple Rome
- Walk-Off Claws Win Again, 5-4 over Rome on Thursday
- Maton's Grand Slam Keys BlueClaws 7-2 Wednesday Win
- Garcia, Two Relievers Combine on BlueClaws 23rd Shutout of Season