Bullpen Lights out in Wire to Wire Victory
GREENSBORO - The Asheville Tourists bested the Greensboro Grasshoppers once again on Saturday night. After scoring the game's first runs in the top of the second inning, the Tourists led the whole way and defeated the Grasshoppers 6-4.
Asheville sent nine batters to the plate in their three-run second inning. Matt Hearn drove in Ramon Marcelino with an RBI single; Ryan Vilade worked a bases-loaded walk; and Sean Bouchard added a sacrifice fly.
The Grasshoppers made it 3-1 in the bottom half but Marcelino led off the third inning with his 21st Home Run of the year to put the Tourists in front 4-1. Greensboro managed a run in the bottom of the third; however, once again the Tourists added a run to their output on a Taylor Snyder RBI groundout in the fifth.
Isael Soto's two-run Home Run brought the home team within a run but the game remained 5-4 all the way until the top of the ninth. That is when Casey Golden decided it was time for some insurance. Golden blasted a 417-foot solo Home Run to deep centerfield.
Nick Kennedy picked up with win by tossing five innings and Asheville bullpen attack of Austin Moore, Hayden Roberts, and Tommy Doyle kept the Grasshoppers scoreless over the game's final four innings. The trio combined to limit Greensboro to only two hits.
The Tourists have now won three straight games after dropping a pair of close contests to begin the road trip. Asheville and Greensboro are back at it on Sunday with a 4:00pm first pitch.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 11, 2018
- Rivera, Soto Homer in Loss to Tourists - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Crawdads Even Series with 2-1 Win - Hickory Crawdads
- Bullpen Lights out in Wire to Wire Victory - Asheville Tourists
- GreenJackets Bounce Back in Game Two - Augusta GreenJackets
- Charleston Relinquishes Two Leads in Defeat to Suns - Charleston RiverDogs
- Crawdads Top Claws with Two Late Runs on Saturday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- GreenJackets Defeat Drive 3-1 on Saturday - Greenville Drive
- 'Birds Win It Wire-To-Wire in Columbia - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Miranda Reaches Base Four Times on Saturday Night - Columbia Fireflies
- Stafford's Six RBI, Stratton's Strong Start Headline 8-2 Win - West Virginia Power
- West Virginia Tops Rome 8-2 Saturday - Rome Braves
- Lexington and Kannapolis Ready to Play, But Mother Nature Says 'No Way' - Lexington Legends
- Atlanta Braves Pitcher Sam Freeman in Rome on Sunday - Rome Braves
- Preview: Young Guns Bringing the Bats - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 11 vs. Delmarva (Game 114) - Columbia Fireflies
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (august 11) - West Virginia Power
- Scudder's Three Hit, Two RBI Night Not Enough in Suns Loss - Hagerstown Suns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.