Final 2009 af2 Playoff Seedings
CHICAGO - The Road to the 2009 ArenaCup begins this weekend with 16 teams competing in eight first round playoff matchups.
Postseason play kicks off on Friday, July 31 with an American Conference matchup as the No. 7 Manchester Wolves (7-9) travel to Des Moines, Iowa to take on the Midwest Division Champion and No. 2 seed Iowa Barnstormers (12-4).
Below is the entire af2 first round playoff schedule (subject to change). All times are Eastern.
American Conference First Round Playoff Schedule:
Friday, July 31
No. 7 Manchester (7-9) at No. 2 Iowa (12-4) 8:05 p.m.
Saturday, August 1
No. 8 Albany (7-9) at No. 1 Wilkes-Barre/Scranton (13-3) 7:00 p.m.
No. 5 Kentucky (10-6) at No. 4 South Georgia (11-5) 7:30 p.m.
No. 6 Green Bay (10-6) at No. 3 Tennessee Valley (11-5) 8:30 p.m.
NATIONAL CONFERENCE First Round Playoff Schedule: Saturday, August 1 No. 6 Rio Grande Valley (9-7) at No. 3 Bossier-Shreveport (11-5) 8:00 p.m. No. 7 Oklahoma City (7-9) at No. 2 Tulsa (13-3) 8:05 p.m. No. 5 Arkansas (11-5) at No. 4 Boise (12-4) 9:10 p.m. No. 8 Stockton (6-10) at No. 1 Spokane (15-1) 10:00 p.m.
2009 ArenaCup Playoff Format
Sixteen teams qualify for the playoffs, eight from each conference (American and National). The eight qualifying teams in each conference consist of the three division champions and five Wild Cards, determined by best overall record. Seeding in each conference is based on overall record, with the top three seeds in each conference reserved for the division champions, regardless of record. In the First Round (July 31-August 2), the first three seeds in each conference are the three division winners. The next five teams are seeded by next best five overall records. Teams ranked 1-4 earn home playoff games with 1 hosting 8, 2 hosting 7, 3 hosting 6 and 4 hosting 5. In the Second Round (August 7-9), the winner of the 1-8 game plays the winner of the 4-5 game. The winner of the 2-7 game plays the winner of the 3-6 game. The home team is decided by the team with the higher seed. The winners of the Second Round will meet for the Conference Championships on the weekend of August 14-16.
The winners of the Conference Championships face off in the 2009 ArenaCup on Saturday, August 22 at the Orleans Arena in Las Vegas.
• Discuss this story on the arenafootball2 message board...
arenafootball2 Stories from July 27, 2009
- Wolves tangle with Barnstormers in first round of af2 playoffs - Manchester Wolves
- Yard Dawgz Game Notes - Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz
- Florida Firecats Denied Participation in 2009 Playoffs - Florida Firecats
- South Georgia Wildcats to Host Kentucky Horsemen in 1st Round of the af2 Playoffs - South Georgia Wildcats
- Firebirds To Take On Pioneers In 2009 ArenaCup Playoffs - Albany Firebirds
- Final 2009 af2 Playoff Seedings - Iowa Barnstormers
- Road to ArenaCup Begins Friday - af2
- Barnstormers Announce Playoff Opponent - Iowa Barnstormers
- Dusters game preview: Amarillo vs. Tulsa - Amarillo Venom
- Xavier Lee Named AFCU Player of the Game - Arkansas Diamonds
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.