FC Tulsa Unveils Third Jersey Honoring North Tulsa Students
TULSA - Art and sport together again in Tulsa.
FC Tulsa has officially launched a third jersey, named the Mural Kit, designed from the club's Mural Project at Monroe Demonstration Academy in North Tulsa. FC Tulsa has spent the last six months working with Arts Alliance Tulsa, local artists and school administrators to bring to life four murals designed by students at Monroe that represent the school's four core values for its students - Empowerment, Responsibility, Community and Excellence. The club has incorporated design elements the students used in each of these four murals into its Mural Kit to inspire those who wear it to spread these values.
In addition to honoring the students at Monroe through their unique design of the Mural Kit, FC Tulsa has placed its Greenwood Ave. patch on the front of the jersey, opposite of the club crest. FC Tulsa has been heavily invested in educating and amplifying the message of the past, present and future of Greenwood. The values represented on the Murals at Monroe of Empowerment, Responsibility, Community and Excellence are the same ones that made Greenwood the thriving community it was 100 years ago, and the same community it can be again.
Not only will FC Tulsa continue donating the full proceeds of the sales from the Greenwood Ave. patch on the Mural Kit to help fund the Black Wall Street Memorial through the Terence Crutcher Foundation, but the club will also donate a portion of the proceeds from the jersey itself back to Monroe Demonstration Academy and its students who made this jersey possible. The club has set up a fund for Monroe through the Tulsa Community Foundation, one of the largest community foundations in the U.S.
While the jersey was announced to the public on Friday morning, FC Tulsa unveiled the Mural Kit on Thursday night at Tulsa Public Schools' Employee Appreciation Night at The Gathering Place. With the inspiration of the jersey coming from a local school, FC Tulsa wanted the Tulsa Public Schools teachers, administrators and staff to be the first ones to see and purchase the Mural Kit.
The club will debut the Mural Kit on the pitch on Juneteenth (Saturday, June 19) against Louisville City FC at ONEOK Field and the jersey is available now at the Team Shop at 1155 S. Elgin Ave. in downtown Tulsa or at the OnlineShop here.
James Cannon, FC Tulsa president
"This entire project has been such a team effort, from the funding provided by the Zarrow Family Foundation to four local artists who made these murals come to life. FC Tulsa absolutely embodies these four core values of Empowerment, Community, Excellence and Responsibility. To have the opportunity to showcase those values through art on our jerseys on Juneteenth is one of the coolest of my professional career."
Todd Cunningham, Executive Director of Arts Alliance Tulsa
"It continues to be an honor to serve as a partner with Monroe Demonstration Academy, FC Tulsa, Zarrow Family Foundations and the entire collaborative team of artists, youth, community and staff to create and watch this mural project come to life. When we work together, we can accomplish so much, and this endeavor has illustrated that time and again. Arts Alliance Tulsa is grateful for the opportunity to participate and to all of those involved who have made it possible."
Robert Kaiser, Principal at Monroe Demonstration Academy
"We are thankful for our collective partnership with the Henry and Anne Zarrow Foundation, Arts Alliance Tulsa, and FC Tulsa, as well as with our amazing students, families, and community members. Our students and families led this project alongside such talented artists and truly brought life, color, inclusion, acceptance, excellence, and community to the walls of Monroe. As the principal of Monroe, I am so thankful to have had a backseat in watching these ideas, thoughts, and imagery come to life. I want to say thank you to FC Tulsa for providing a platform to nationally showcase our murals on their jerseys. Our Monroe scholars, families, and community deserve to be recognized on a national stage and I am so proud of all of them."
Dr. Tiffany Crutcher, Founder of the Terence Crutcher Foundation
"It's important to continue to lift Greenwood up, because we are still fighting for repair, respect, and restitution. Our ancestors built a thriving community, and it is important that we extend tradition and educate our children that they come from greatness. Our stories and our people won't be forgotten."
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from June 11, 2021
- Rowdies Top Loudoun with Late Rally - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Rowdies Ready to Open up Al Lang against Loudoun - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Loudoun United FC Lose 2-1 against the Tampa Bay Rowdies on the Road - Loudoun United FC
- Memphis Wrap up Five-Match Road Trip in Louisville - Memphis 901 FC
- Match Preview: Tacoma Defiance at Phoenix Rising FC - June 12, 2021 - Tacoma Defiance
- Hounds Academy Announce Roster for Inaugural USL Academy Season - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- FC Tulsa Just Unveiled Its 2021 Mural Kit - FC Tulsa
- Preview: Austin Bold FC at New Mexico United - Austin Bold FC
- Preview: Rgv FC Returns to H-E-B Park to Host Real Monarchs - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Preview: Rising vs. Tacoma Defiance, Tomorrow at 7:30 - Phoenix Rising FC
- SD Loyal Set for Second Home Match of the Season - San Diego Loyal
- Match Preview: Legion FC at OKC Energy FC - Saturday, June 12 - Birmingham Legion FC
- Everything You Need to Know When Orange County SC Host USL Newcomers Oakland Roots SC in Week 7 - Orange County SC
- Match Preview: Oakland Roots vs Orange County SC - Oakland Roots
- Real Monarchs Visit Rio Grande Valley FC at H-E-B Park - Real Monarchs SLC
- Indy Eleven Welcomes Gaylor Electric as Newest Corporate Sponsor - Indy Eleven
- FC Tulsa Unveils Third Jersey Honoring North Tulsa Students - FC Tulsa
- What to Watch for with LouCity vs. Memphis 901 FC - Louisville City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent FC Tulsa Stories
- Rally Falls Short for FC Tulsa vs. Louisville
- Preview: FC Tulsa vs. Louisville City FC - Saturday, June 19, 7 p.m.
- FC Tulsa Outlasts Sporting Kansas City II 4-3
- Preview: FC Tulsa vs. Sporting Kansas City II, Wednesday, June 16, 7 p.m.
- FC Tulsa Announces Co-Branded Beer with Cabin Boys Brewery