Preview: Austin Bold FC at New Mexico United
Austin, TX The Bold's four-match road trip continues, and your neighborhood soccer club is ready to keep their winning ways going. Tomorrow night, Austin Bold travels West to take on Mountain Division rivals New Mexico United at Isotopes Park in Albuquerque, NM. Saturday will be the second time these two clubs have met this season. The first meeting ended in disappointment for Austin, and Marcelo Serrano's men will look to make sure history doesn't repeat itself. Catch this match, and all Austin Bold FC matches, on ESPN+.
Fastest Goal in Bold History
53 seconds. That's all the time it took midfielder Collin Fernandez to get The Bold in the lead against the Pittsburgh Riverhounds at Highmark Stadium. The goal wasn't just the game-winner of the night but also the fastest goal in Austin Bold FC history. The previous record was held by Ema Twumasi when he scored in the first 91 seconds against FC Tulsa (then the Tulsa Roughnecks) on August 17th, 2019, at Bold Stadium. The Bold would go on to win both matches. A lesson to be learned from this is scoring the first two minutes of the match is usually a pretty good strategy.
Second Clean Sheet
Austin Bold claimed their second clean sheet of the season last Sunday with their 1-0 victory. The entire Bold squad was able to limit the Riverhounds to only one shot on target. The stats dig deeper into Austin's defensive prowess. Austin finished the night with 13 tackles, an 84.6% successful tackle rate, 27 clearances, 16 interceptions, and 55.3% of aerials duels won. Marcelo Serrano's men may have conceded possession, but they still found a way to control the match flow. They are now tied for fourth-least goals conceded in the USL Championship. The secret to their success is consistency. The majority of Bold's defense has been with the club since day one, and that familiarity has shown brightly on the pitch.
New Mexico v Austin: Round II
Saturday's match is the first time The Bold will play a club for the second time in this young USL Championship season. What will this mean for the match? A lot has changed since that May meeting. That match was The Bold's first game of the season and New Mexico's third. Since then, Austin has tightened up their defense and has only let in two goals in the following four matches. This tactical upgrade will force Troy Lesesne's squad to work harder to break down the backline. New Mexico has stayed consistent with two wins and a loss since the 3-1 victory. With only one clean sheet in 2021 for New Mexico United, Marcelo Serrano will feel that goals can be found if the attacking force clicks in Albuquerque.
Get to know New Mexico United by the numbers
Head Coach: Troy Lesesne
2021 Record: 3-2-1 (W-L-D)
2021 Mountain Division Standing: 3rd (10 PTS)
Top Goalscorer: Sergio Rivas and Amando Moreno (2)
Goals Conceded: 5
Clean Sheets: 1
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from June 11, 2021
- Rowdies Top Loudoun with Late Rally - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Rowdies Ready to Open up Al Lang against Loudoun - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Loudoun United FC Lose 2-1 against the Tampa Bay Rowdies on the Road - Loudoun United FC
- Memphis Wrap up Five-Match Road Trip in Louisville - Memphis 901 FC
- Match Preview: Tacoma Defiance at Phoenix Rising FC - June 12, 2021 - Tacoma Defiance
- Hounds Academy Announce Roster for Inaugural USL Academy Season - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- FC Tulsa Just Unveiled Its 2021 Mural Kit - FC Tulsa
- Preview: Austin Bold FC at New Mexico United - Austin Bold FC
- Preview: Rgv FC Returns to H-E-B Park to Host Real Monarchs - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Preview: Rising vs. Tacoma Defiance, Tomorrow at 7:30 - Phoenix Rising FC
- SD Loyal Set for Second Home Match of the Season - San Diego Loyal
- Match Preview: Legion FC at OKC Energy FC - Saturday, June 12 - Birmingham Legion FC
- Everything You Need to Know When Orange County SC Host USL Newcomers Oakland Roots SC in Week 7 - Orange County SC
- Match Preview: Oakland Roots vs Orange County SC - Oakland Roots
- Real Monarchs Visit Rio Grande Valley FC at H-E-B Park - Real Monarchs
- Indy Eleven Welcomes Gaylor Electric as Newest Corporate Sponsor - Indy Eleven
- FC Tulsa Unveils Third Jersey Honoring North Tulsa Students - FC Tulsa
- What to Watch for with LouCity vs. Memphis 901 FC - Louisville City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Austin Bold FC Stories
- Casey Walls Gets Called up to U-20 USMNT
- Thank You, Giles Barnes, for Spending Time with Austin Bold FC
- Austin Bold FC Pays Tribute to Promise Isaac and Claims Victory over Tacoma Defiance
- Austin's Own Sonny G Returns to Austin Bold FC
- Fabien Garcia Selected for USL Team of the Week