Fassnacht Walks it Off in the 10th
Williamsport, Penn. - Nate Fassnacht laced a double down the left-field line in the bottom of the tenth to bring in Nicolas Torres racing around from second base in a 3-2 victory over the State College Spikes on Saturday night. Williamsport (32-42) improved to 3-2 in extra innings and stands at 6-3 in its last nine. The setback officially eliminated State College (38-36) from postseason contention.
Fassnacht also had an RBI single in the second on a 2-for-4 game with two RBI.
Anton Kuznetsov picked up the win in relief with three innings allowing two unearned runs in the eighth on a pair of dropped fly balls. Chris Micheles pitched well in middle relief lasting 3.2 innings allowing no runs and just four hits, only one of which was hit hard. Starter Adam Leverett went 3.1 innings with four strikeouts giving up two hits and two walks.
The Cutters are 22-15 in the second half of the season with just two games to play. Williamsport was 10-27 in the first half of the year.
The last road game of the season is Sunday at 6:05 p.m. at State College with LHP Junior Tejada scheduled to start. The Cutters play their season finale on Monday afternoon at 1:05 p.m. at BB&T Ballpark with RHP Leonel Aponte throwing the first pitch on Fan Appreciation Day.
SC 2 6 1 (9)
WIL 3 6 1 (5)
W - Anton Kuznetsov (3-1)
L - Fabian Blanco (3-1)
Crosscutters Record: 32-42
Next Game: Sunday, September 1 at 6:05 p.m. at State College Spikes
Next Home Game/Promotion: Monday, September 2 at 1:05 p.m. vs. State College Spikes /
Fan Appreciation Day, Prizes Every Inning
• Discuss this story on the New York-Penn League message board...
New York-Penn League Stories from August 31, 2019
- Doubleheader Wins Close the Gap in the Division Race - West Virginia Black Bears
- Spikes Eliminated from Playoff Hunt with 3-2 Extra-Inning Loss to Crosscutters - State College Spikes
- Fassnacht Walks it Off in the 10th - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Genord, Ritter, Cano Lead 'Clones - Brooklyn Cyclones
- Spinners Ride Big 8th Inning to Comeback Victory vs. Tigers - Lowell Spinners
- Vermont Opens Final Series With 4-1 Loss At Tri-City - Vermont Lake Monsters
- Tigers Fall to Open Final Home Stand - Norwich Sea Unicorns
- Jones, Sogard Lead Gades Over Birds - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Doubledays Split Series with Crosscutters After 8-6 Win - Auburn Doubledays
- Staten Island Outlasts Hudson Valley to Win Vital Rubber Game - Staten Island Yankees
- Black Bears Drop Home Finale to Batavia - West Virginia Black Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Williamsport Crosscutters Stories
- Laptop Giveaway Entries Due September 7
- Cutters Launch Reading Contest
- COVID-19 Claims 2020 Cutters Season
- Cutters to Re-Live 2003 Championship Season on Social Media
- Update from the Williamsport Crosscutters