Genord, Ritter, Cano Lead 'Clones
CONEY ISLAND, NY - Joe Genord and Luke Ritter combined to drive in nine runs, sending the Brooklyn Cyclones, the Short Season Class A affiliate of the New York Mets, to a 11-2 victory against the Staten Island Yankees Saturday night in the series opener at MCU Park in front of 7,881.
W: Ragan (3-0)
L: Garcia (2-2)
Cyclones HR: Genord (9)
Mets rehabber Robinson Cano doubled and scored in the bottom of the sixth, breaking a 3-2 tie to give the Cyclones the lead for good.
Joe Genord's three-run home run finished off Brooklyn's seven-run seventh inning against the Yankees, pushing the lead to 11-2.
Luke Ritter went 3-5, including a game-tying RBI in the bottom of the first on a single, and the go-ahead RBI in the sixth to make it 3-2.
Dan Goggin, Mitch Ragan, Reyson Santos, and Josh Hejka tossed seven scoreless innings of relief.
KEY CYCLONES CONTRIBUTORS
Joe Genord: 2-2-, SF, HR, 5 RBI, BB, R
Luke Ritter: 3-5, 2B, 4 RBI, 3 R
Robinson Cano: 2-4, 2B, RBI, R
Dan Goggin: 3 IP, 0 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 4 K
Matthew Allan: 2 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 3 K
NEWS & NOTES
With the victory, the Cyclones are tied with Aberdeen atop the Wild Card standing with two games to play.
Matthew Allan, the Mets third-round selection out of Seminole High School in Florida, made his Cyclones debut as a starter.
Joe Genord tallied five RBIs Saturday, bringing his season total to 44 to lead the club.
Cyclones at Staten Island Yankees
Richmond County Bank Ballpark - Staten Island, NY
Probables: RHP Garrison Bryant (5-1, 2.18 ERA) vs. RHP Anderson Munoz (7-2, 2.48 ERA)
• Discuss this story on the New York-Penn League message board...
New York-Penn League Stories from August 31, 2019
- Doubleheader Wins Close the Gap in the Division Race - West Virginia Black Bears
- Spikes Eliminated from Playoff Hunt with 3-2 Extra-Inning Loss to Crosscutters - State College Spikes
- Fassnacht Walks it Off in the 10th - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Genord, Ritter, Cano Lead 'Clones - Brooklyn Cyclones
- Spinners Ride Big 8th Inning to Comeback Victory vs. Tigers - Lowell Spinners
- Vermont Opens Final Series With 4-1 Loss At Tri-City - Vermont Lake Monsters
- Tigers Fall to Open Final Home Stand - Norwich Sea Unicorns
- Jones, Sogard Lead Gades Over Birds - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Doubledays Split Series with Crosscutters After 8-6 Win - Auburn Doubledays
- Staten Island Outlasts Hudson Valley to Win Vital Rubber Game - Staten Island Yankees
- Black Bears Drop Home Finale to Batavia - West Virginia Black Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.