Vermont Opens Final Series With 4-1 Loss At Tri-City
TROY, NY - The Vermont Lake Monters opened their final New York-Penn League series of the season with a 4-1 loss to the Tri-City ValleyCats on Saturday night at Bruno Stadium.
ValleyCats starter Jairo Lopez (2-2) retired 16 of the 17 batters he faced with eight strikeouts over the first five innings, allowing just a leadoff single in the fourth to Marty Bechina. Reliever Danny Cody retired each of the last five Lake Monsters, three by strikeout, to earn his first save of the season.
Tri-City scored a pair of runs in the third as Matthew Barefoot led off the inning with a single, stole second and scored on a Luis Guerrero RBI single. Guerrero then stole second before scoring on a Luis Santana two-out RBI single.
Nathan Perry made it 3-0 ValleyCats with his 12th home run of the season in the fourth off Vermont starter Michael Murray (3-1), who allowed three runs on seven hits with no walks and five strikeouts over five innings to take his first loss this season with the Lake Monsters.
Vermont got a run in the seventh when Dustin Harris walked with one out, advanced to second on a wild pitch and to third on a Jordan Diaz single before scoring on a Kevin Richards bloop single to right. Derek West got out of further trouble by getting Kyle McCann to ground into an inning-ending 5-4-3 double play to keep lead at 3-1 for Tri-City.
The ValleyCats added an insurance run in the bottom of the eighth when Santana was hit by reliever Austin Briggs with one out, advanced to second on a wild pitch and scored on a Korey Lee two-out RBI groundball single to center.
Vermont (33-41) and Tri-City (31-42) will meet in the second of the three-game series 5:00 pm on Sunday before the teams wrap up the 2019 season at 3:00 pm on Monday.
• Discuss this story on the New York-Penn League message board...
New York-Penn League Stories from August 31, 2019
- Doubleheader Wins Close the Gap in the Division Race - West Virginia Black Bears
- Spikes Eliminated from Playoff Hunt with 3-2 Extra-Inning Loss to Crosscutters - State College Spikes
- Fassnacht Walks it Off in the 10th - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Genord, Ritter, Cano Lead 'Clones - Brooklyn Cyclones
- Spinners Ride Big 8th Inning to Comeback Victory vs. Tigers - Lowell Spinners
- Vermont Opens Final Series With 4-1 Loss At Tri-City - Vermont Lake Monsters
- Tigers Fall to Open Final Home Stand - Norwich Sea Unicorns
- Jones, Sogard Lead Gades Over Birds - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Doubledays Split Series with Crosscutters After 8-6 Win - Auburn Doubledays
- Staten Island Outlasts Hudson Valley to Win Vital Rubber Game - Staten Island Yankees
- Black Bears Drop Home Finale to Batavia - West Virginia Black Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.