Extra Innings Doom Missions
SAN ANTONIO - The Tacoma Rainiers' bullpen shut down the San Antonio Missions Wednesday night as the Rainiers doubled up the Missions 4-2 in 10 innings.
The Missions did not tally a base hit after a two-out fourth-inning double by former Rainier, David Freitas. Tacoma's bullpen allowed just one runner, a walk, in 4 1/3 innings of work.
The Rainiers took their first lead of the game in the 10th inning and they held off the Missions in the bottom half of the inning to take game one of the series.
Playing in his first game in San Antonio in over a month, Keston Hiura delivered a run-scoring single in his first at-bat to give the Missions an early advantage in the first inning. San Antonio doubled its lead later in the frame on Tyler Saladino's sacrifice fly that brought Nate Orf home from third base.
Zack Brown cruised through the first four innings on the mound for the Missions before allowing his first hit in the fifth. The hit came off the bat of Kristopher Negron and left the yard to cut San Antonio's lead in half. The Rainiers tied the score in the sixth as they loaded the bases and Tim Lopes came in to score on a wild pitch from Brown. The right-hander fanned seven batters to match a season-high over six innings of work for his fourth quality start
Tacoma threatened to commandeer the lead in the top of the eighth inning as they loaded the bases with just one out but Angel Perdomo got John Andreoli to bounce into an inning-ending twin-killing.
The Missions were unable to crack the code to the Rainiers bullpen in the 10th inning as they dropped the series opener.
The Missions and Rainiers continue their three-game series Thursday night at Wolff Stadium. Right-hander Burch Smith (3-3, 3.15) will start for the Missions against left-hander Justus Sheffield (2-5, 5.74) for the Rainiers. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. Post-Game Notes
* With the loss, San Antonio dropped to 40-26 on the season.
* Zack Brown finished with his fourth quality start of the season...6.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 7 K
* Cory Spangenberg extended his on-base streak to 16 games with a single in the fourth inning.
* The Missions are now 1-2 in extra-inning games this season
2019 is the 118th season of baseball in San Antonio and first as the Triple-A affiliate of the Milwaukee Brewers. Single game tickets are on sale now at the Wolff Stadium Box Office or online at samissions.com. Season seat memberships are available now by calling 210-675-PARK (7275).
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 12, 2019
- Memphis Wins Series Opener - Salt Lake Bees
- Extra Innings Doom Missions - San Antonio Missions
- Rainiers Rally in Tenth for First Extra Innings Victory in San Antonio - Tacoma Rainiers
- Redbirds Roll to 11-5 Win over Salt Lake - Memphis Redbirds
- Sounds Hold Aviators to Two Hits in Shutout Win - Nashville Sounds
- Taking a New Assignment in Stride - San Antonio Missions
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (25-39) vs. Las Vegas Aviators (35-30) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (27-38) vs Salt Lake Bees (29-34) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 12, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Tacoma Rainiers - San Antonio Missions
- Redbirds, Sissy's Log Cabin to Give Away a Rolex on Saturday, June 29 - Memphis Redbirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.