Eikrem Shines in Second Preseason Friendly Versus California United in 5-1 Sounders Win
TUCSON, ARIZ. - In the second exhibition match in as many days versus lower league side California United FC, Seattle Sounders FC moved its preseason record to 4-1-0 with a 5-1 victory at the University of Arizona's Mulcahy Stadium. New signing Magnus Eikrem spearheaded Seattle's attack at the top of a four-man diamond midfield, recording two goals and an assist. Frontline partners Clint Dempsey and Will Bruin found the back of the net, with the latter recording two goals on the day. Today's contest was Sounders FC's final preseason game in Tucson, with Brian Schmetzer's side returning to the Emerald City on Thursday evening.
Mike Fiechtner / Sounders FC Communications
New international signing Eikrem made an early imprint on the match, finishing cleanly at the far post to earn his side a 1-0 lead. Dempsey found Eikrem in space, settling play in midfield and providing a weighted through ball at the edge of California United's area that cut through their backline.
Bruin doubled Seattle's advantage before the halftime whistle, converting a rebounded goal after Dempsey took an initial shot that was deflected. The Indiana University product bagged his brace one minute later, with Eikrem playing the role of creator, sliding a clean pass into Bruin's feet to make the score 3-0 at the intermission.
Eikrem picked up where he left off early in the second half, weaving his way through United's defense before finishing coolly at the far post. Throughout the sequence, the Norwegian combined with Dempsey to unlock the defense, cementing Seattle's lead at 4-0 in the 50th minute of play.
Nouhou added a fifth goal for Sounders FC one minute later, with Bruin providing the assist on the break during a Seattle's counterattack. California United was able to drag a goal back in the 56th minute, putting the score at 5-1.
Sounders FC's 2018 preseason presented by adidas approaches its final stretch, with Brian Schmetzer's side returning to the Pacific Northwest on Thursday evening. Sounders FC returns to Starfire Sports next week, with the club's first media availability following training on Monday, February 12 at approximately 12:00 p.m. PT. A full training schedule for next week is being announced in the coming days.
Prior to the MLS regular season starting on March 4, Sounders FC is set to face Salvadoran club Santa Tecla FC in the Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League, the region's premier club championship, with the first leg in El Salvador on February 22 and the second leg at CenturyLink Field on March 1. Sounders FC season tickets are still available, including new 2018 seating options in the 300-level, as well single-match tickets for each of Seattle's home matches. For complete information, details and pricing on 2018 Sounders FC season tickets, fans should visit SoundersFC.com/tickets, call 877-MLS-GOAL or email Sales@SoundersFC.com.
Seattle Sounders FC 5 - California United FC 1
Thursday, February 8, 2018
Venue: Mulcahy Soccer Stadium I Tucson, Arizona
Weather: 60 degrees and sunny
Attendance: Closed-door, 75-minute scrimmage
SEA - Magnus Eikrem (Clint Dempsey) 16'
SEA - Will Bruin 36'
SEA - Will Bruin (Magnus Eikrem) 37'
SEA - Magnus Eikrem (Clint Dempsey) 50'
SEA - Nouhou (Will Bruin) 51'
CAL - California United FC player 56'
Seattle Sounders FC - Bryan Meredith; Jordan McCrary^, Román Torres - captain, Markus Fjørtoft*, Nouhou; Gustav Svensson, Alex Roldan*, Victor Rodriguez, Magnus Eikrem; Will Bruin, Clint Dempsey
* Unsigned MLS SuperDraft selection
^ Guest player
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 8, 2018
- Earthquakes, Wells Fargo Introduce Dynamic New Partnership - San Jose Earthquakes
- Eikrem Shines in Second Preseason Friendly Versus California United in 5-1 Sounders Win - Seattle Sounders FC
- Impact U14 Returns to Tournoi Sans Frontiere in France - Montreal Impact
- Mexican National Team to Face on March 27 at AT&T Stadium - FC Dallas
- MAPFRE Stadium Announces a "No Bag" Policy for Soccer Matches Beginning March 1 - Columbus Crew SC
- Sporting KC Trades Andrew Dykstra to Colorado in Exchange for Draft Pick - Sporting Kansas City
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Seattle Sounders FC Stories
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. Real Salt Lake - May 26, 2018
- Sounders FC Signs Forward Felix Chenkam
- Sounders FC to Visit Sacramento Republic FC in Fourth Round of 2018 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup
- Three Sounders FC Players Enter Standard USL Loan Agreements
- Svensson, Torres and Lodeiro Take Next Steps Toward 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia