Earthquakes Weekly Update: April 8, 2019
The San Jose Earthquakes earned their first points under head coach Matias Almeyda in Saturday evening's 3-0 victory over the Portland Timbers. Shea Salinas, Danny Hoesen and Cristian Espinoza each scored in the first half, and goalkeeper Daniel Vega saved a penalty kick to claim his first shutout for San Jose.
The Quakes now turn their attention to the Houston Dynamo on Saturday, April 13. Saturday's match at BBVA Compass Stadium is set for 12 p.m. and will be broadcast on Univision, 560 KSFO and 1370 KZSF.
San Jose and Houston are evenly matched over their last three meetings, with each side going 1-1-1 with five goals scored.
Salinas on the Scoresheet
Shea Salinas scored on Saturday for the first time since his famous stoppage-time goal to seal the win for San Jose in the 2017 edition of the California Clasico at Stanford Stadium (7/1/17).
Make it Count
Quakes forward Danny Hoesen made his first start and scored his first goal of the 2019 season last Saturday against Portland.
Barrage of Goals
Saturday marked the first time the Earthquakes scored three goals in any half since Aug. 19, 2015 at Sporting Kansas City.
The 70 seconds between the Quakes' second goal (Danny Hoesen; 32:18) and third goal (Cristian Espinoza; 33:28) set a new record for fastest consecutive goals in club history.
San Jose earned their first shutout victory since Sept. 16, 2017 vs. the Houston Dynamo (1-0). Their last multi-goal shutout victory came on Aug. 27, 2017 at the LA Galaxy (3-0).
Daniel Vega earned his first clean sheet for San Jose on Saturday. His shutout also included a save on Diego Valeri's penalty attempt, marking the first such save for a Quakes keeper since April 21, 2018 (Andrew Tarbell vs. Orlando City SC).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 8, 2019
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: April 8, 2019 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chicago Fire Weekly Update - April 8, 2019 - Chicago Fire
- Earthquakes Trio Selected to MLS Team of the Week - San Jose Earthquakes
- LAFC Forward Diego Rossi Voted MLS Player of the Week - Los Angeles FC
- Sounders FC Reintroduces Sammy the Sounders Mascot Ahead of Team's Annual Kids Day Match this Saturday - Seattle Sounders FC
- Impact Takes on D.C. United Tuesday Night in Washington - Montreal Impact
- Los Angeles Football Club Forward Diego Rossi Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Darren Mattocks Named to MLS Team of the Week - FC Cincinnati
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: April 8, 2019 - FC Cincinnati
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Jose Earthquakes Stories
- Chris Wondolowski scores 150th goal in a Quakes uniform; Andres Rios makes MLS debut
- Tickets for 2019 NCAA Women's College Cup on Sale Thursday
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: August 12, 2019
- Loss snaps Quakes' unbeaten streak at five; Carlos Fierro makes MLS debut
- Earthquakes Trade Anibal Godoy to Nashville SC, Acquire $650k in General Allocation Money