Los Angeles Football Club Forward Diego Rossi Voted MLS Player of the Week
April 8, 2019 - Major League Soccer (MLS) News Release
NEW YORK - Los Angeles Football Club forward Diego Rossi was voted the Major League Soccer Player of the Week for the sixth week of the 2019 MLS season.
LAFC defeated D.C. United 4-0 at Audi Field on Saturday behind a dominant performance from Rossi who finished the match with his first MLS hat trick. Rossi's six goals this season are second most in the league, as the forward has scored a goal in three consecutive matches. LAFC sits atop the league with 16 points and an undefeated 5-0-1 record after winning three straight games (13 points). The club has scored 19 goals this season, the most ever by an MLS club through its first six contests of the season.
The 21-year-old opened his day with a goal in the 27th minute to give LAFC a 2-0 advantage. Carlos Vela served Rossi with a perfectly placed pass into the box, where the Uruguayan calmly finished with a left-footed tap in to the bottom right corner of goal. Moments later in the 32nd minute, Rossi extended LAFC's lead to 3-0 with a curling shot from inside the box off a delivery from Mark-Anthony Kaye.
Rossi then completed his first MLS hat trick in the 76th minute when he received Christian Ramirez's pass in the box and powered a shot off goalkeeper Bill Hamid and into the back of the net.
LAFC returns to action on Saturday, April 13 when hosting FC Cincinnati at Banc of California Stadium (10:30 p.m. ET, ESPN+).
The MLS Player of the Week is selected each week of the regular season through both media and fan voting in a process conducted by MLS Communications. A panel of journalists from the North American Soccer Reporters (NASR) comprises 75 percent of the vote, while a Twitter fan vote represents the remaining 25 percent of voting. NASR consists of members of print, television, radio and online media.
Images from this story
Los Angeles Football Club forward Diego Rossi
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 8, 2019
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: April 8, 2019 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chicago Fire Weekly Update - April 8, 2019 - Chicago Fire
- Earthquakes Trio Selected to MLS Team of the Week - San Jose Earthquakes
- LAFC Forward Diego Rossi Voted MLS Player of the Week - Los Angeles FC
- Sounders FC Reintroduces Sammy the Sounders Mascot Ahead of Team's Annual Kids Day Match this Saturday - Seattle Sounders FC
- Impact Takes on D.C. United Tuesday Night in Washington - Montreal Impact
- Los Angeles Football Club Forward Diego Rossi Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Darren Mattocks Named to MLS Team of the Week - FC Cincinnati
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: April 8, 2019 - FC Cincinnati
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.