Sounders FC Reintroduces Sammy the Sounders Mascot Ahead of Team's Annual Kids Day Match this Saturday
SEATTLE, WASH. - Seattle Sounders FC today announced a new addition: Sammy the Sounder, a reboot of the club's USL-era mascot. Sammy made his first appearance this afternoon at Seattle Children's Museum for a Forever Green Kids Club event presented by Delta Dental and will debut to the public at this Saturday's match. Themed as Kids Day, the afternoon bout between Sounders FC and Toronto FC is also scheduled to feature a host of other special activities and matchday elements specific to celebrating young fans. Kickoff for Saturday's home match at CenturyLink Field is slated for 1:00 p.m. PT.
Sammy the Sounder joins the Rave Green as a descendant of the USL Sammy, and, having spent time traveling with his pod, has returned to the Puget Sound. He is set to serve as a primary ambassador for Sounders FC's youth programming, with a special focus on sustainability, a guiding tenet of the club. As a young orca himself, Sammy enjoys being around children and is a bit too shy to appear in front of crowds in-match, preferring to spend his time in his matchday habitat, which will be located outside Section 139 in Soccer Celebration as part of the new Forever Green Kids Club presented by Delta Dental.
Beginning this Saturday, fans can visit the new Forever Green Kids Club area to sign up for membership, meet Sammy, get their faces painted, color a collectable Sounders FC picture designed by MLS Watercolorist, play games, take advantage of unique kid-sized photo interactives and more. The Forever Green Kids Club is open through kickoff for each home match.
Being among the first to meet Sammy isn't the only thing fans attending Saturday's match can look forward to. The entire day is themed toward celebrating youth, with special elements both pre-match and throughout the game.
Before the match, fans of all ages should be sure to stop by the new Zulily Zone located outside the northwest corner of the stadium. The interactive area debuted last weekend and is set to be a regular feature at Sounders FC home games. The Zulily Zone is highlighted by a ball pit contest, where fans can experience the Thrill of the Find as they are given 45 seconds to dive through a sea of purple in an attempt to find a white ball to exchange for an exclusive prize. The area also features a special photobooth station where fans can take a commemorative photo on a special Sounders backdrop.
Before the match, Benicio Bryant, a former "The Voice Kids" contestant, will sing the national anthem while Season Members and their children assist as on-field volunteers for the opening ceremony. Additionally, stadium public address announcer James Woollard is being joined in the booth by a special young guest assistant, while Scarves Up is being led by Nicolás Lodeiro's young son, Leandro.
Members of the Forever Green Kids Club are set to serve as the Zulily Dream Team, leading players onto the field, as well as delivering the match ball.
Saturday's match also marks the third iteration of the Sounders FC and Seattle Mariners Doubleheader. The special promotion has the Rave Green teaming up with their next-door neighbor to provide fans the chance for a full day of Seattle sports. Fans can still purchase a ticket package, which provides a 300-level ticket to Sounders FC's match, a 100-level ticket to see the Mariners versus the Houston Astros later that evening, and an exclusive pair of team co-branded Doubleheader socks - all for $50. Fans can access the deal at SoundersFC.com/Mariners.
Before hosting Toronto on Saturday, the Rave Green travel to Colorado to take on the Rapids Wednesday evening at Dick's Sporting Goods Park. Kickoff is set for 6:00 p.m. PT (JOEtv, YouTube TV, 950 KJR AM, El Rey 1360 AM).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 8, 2019
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: April 8, 2019 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chicago Fire Weekly Update - April 8, 2019 - Chicago Fire
- Earthquakes Trio Selected to MLS Team of the Week - San Jose Earthquakes
- LAFC Forward Diego Rossi Voted MLS Player of the Week - Los Angeles FC
- Sounders FC Reintroduces Sammy the Sounders Mascot Ahead of Team's Annual Kids Day Match this Saturday - Seattle Sounders FC
- Impact Takes on D.C. United Tuesday Night in Washington - Montreal Impact
- Los Angeles Football Club Forward Diego Rossi Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Darren Mattocks Named to MLS Team of the Week - FC Cincinnati
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: April 8, 2019 - FC Cincinnati
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Seattle Sounders FC Stories
- Major League Soccer Announces Schedule for 2020 Continuation of Play
- Seattle Bows out of MLS Is Back Tournament with 4-1 Loss to LAFC
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. Los Angeles FC - July 27, 2020
- Sounders FC to Face Los Angeles FC in Knockout Stage of MLS Is Back Tournament
- Sounders FC Secures Passage to Knockout Round of MLS Is Back Tournament with 3-0 Victory over Vancouver